Gen V rear brake calipers..different orientation

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I noticed that the Gen V rear brake calipers are on the back side or rear side of the rotor....unlike the Gen IV which the rear brake calipers are positioned on the front side of the rotor...

I am thinking it is for better braking?...cooling???, rear knuckle improved design??......
You must be registered for see images attach
Anyone know for sure why the change?

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason for the caliper flip flop is explained here:

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2013-srt-viper-gts-suspension-walkaround.html

Wait a minute. Wasn't the parking brake caliper mounted behind the axle centerline last time around? Shouldn't we be staring at a big red four-piston Brembo caliper from here?

That was then; this is now. For 2013 the toe link has been moved from its former location behind the axle centerline to a position in front.

There it is again. And it looks as if it has two means of adjustment: a turnbuckle and an eccentric cam. What's that all about?

Look carefully at the fences on either side of the eccentric cam to see the answer. These run horizontally, which paradoxically means this is an up-down adjustment point for bump steer, not an in-out one for toe-in. The traditional toe-in adjustment is made with the turnbuckle built into the link itself.

Adjustable rear bump steer is new for the 2013 Viper, and it's a nod to track users who want to optimize the handling of their car from track to track. But that's not the main reason for the switch from a rear-mounted toe link to this forward mount. SRT engineers tell me it was done to better optimize rear roll steer and compliance steer in general, to make this beast a bit less beastly.

The relocation of this link is what caused the brake calipers to trade places, and in so doing the aluminum rear knuckle had to be totally redesigned.

OP
OP
V

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply Steve M...

I keep finding new ways SRT has made improvements on the car and continue to be impressed...

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A side benefit is that most 18" wheels should fit.There is a better selection of 18" race tires, both trac and drag.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang