Gen1 VEC 2 just turned up.. anyone fitted one????

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got my VEC 2 fron Sean Roe.
Has anyone fitted one that can give me a few tips?
Had a quick look at the kit and it looks like you get new injector feeds,If so what do you do with the old ones??
Well I'm off to do some more reading before i even atempt to touch the car...
Cheers
Baz

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed one on my GenII, but it is probably about the same setup. The VECII sits in series with the stock injector control harness. Stock harness from the PCM is an input into the VECII. VECII output harness attaches to the injector connector at the back of the engine to drive the injectors.

OP
OP
V

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There seems to be a few more wires to play with..
Need to cut 20 or so from the PCM and wire into the VEC2 GEN1s must have a different set up...

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was no wire cutting on the GenII, only one pin needed to be pulled from a harness (Crank position sensor I believe and a couple of wire taps. Perhaps the GenI doesn't have an inline connector or something. Hopefully someone else with a GenI will chime in.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken, did you dyno tune your car after putting on the VECII or is it dialed in close enough?

I think a VECII definitely needs to be dialed in. The one sample program that came with the unit had way too much timing dialed in, at least for my car on '92 octane and it doesn't really optimize the overly rich stock A/F at the higher RPMs, though it richens the lean lower RPMs some. Someone running 94 octane or better on a forge piston car might get away without any tuning assuming you don't mind running rich on the top end.

I bought a Dynojet Wideband Commander WBO setup to tune with which I installed permanently in my car with the intent of road tuning the car.

Unfortunately, whenever I have used the VEC2 with anything other than stock settings and it is warm outside (>80F or so), the car has run erratic (stumbles) during WOT operation, so I never did get it dialed in. Now the weather has cooled off before I could finish my troubleshooting. Only thing left to try are some additional grounds on the engine sensors. Gives me something to do over the winter I guess :)

Larry94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Vec 2 for the Gen 1 is definitely different. There is no inline connector. Everything needs to wired individually. I had West Coast Viper install and tune mine. It took 4 hours just for the installation. My understanding is that it's not particularly difficult, just time consuming. It runs great. Smoother, lower a/f ratio (now 12.5-13), and an additional 27rwhp :2tu:

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KenH:

make sure you have the latest firmware, the early VEC2's had a hiccup just as you are indicting. It is not an issue with octane. After the firmware is fixed, I would use Sean's sample program that contains the advance and back it off 50% as the starting point. You only have drop to the 50% level above 3500.

For configuration use the stock map as input and select the 250 rpm resolution. The early software did not have the 250 rpm capability. You will have to get the latest software to go this route. Most of the power gain is going to come in the mid-range. Shoot for a flat 13:1 as a goal.

The Gen2 VEC is an 1-2 hour project for the install, the Gen1 requires a fair amount of splicing.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Jack,
Thanks for the info. I tried the latest firmware update that Sean said solved your V-notch issue. Unfortunately, it did not have any affect on my problem. Sean suggested I try additional grounding, so that is left to try. My problem is definitely air temperature dependent. Also, even when the air temperature is cool and I don't have the stumble, I seem to start getting a little detonation/pinging if I try to run more than 2-3 degrees advance or if I leave the timing stock and try to adjust the A/F leaner from 11:0 to 12.5 or so.

--- Ken

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean now has the logging option 90% done. I would log a pull and see where total timing is. The stock curve is a max of approximately 31 degrees with somewhat less in the mid range, compare that to actual numbers and you will know why it is happening.

The PCM does add/pull timing from open loop beacuse of varying ambient conditions and that is part of what you are seeing.

OP
OP
V

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Guys
Just have to take my time then and make sure i get it all right first time..
Thinking on the Gen1 Roe charger next year anyone done that yet??
:2tu: :2tu: :2tu: :2tu: