Glen Event 2001?

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm going to take my viper to Watkins Glen on August 20th and 21st and was wondering if any other board members will also be attending?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hope your car is not an R/T 10!!!
I was denied entry to the event at Watkins Glen.
Because I was advised that even with the hardtop on the car that it didn't meet safety specs?
I would have like to have gone seeing that it is not to far....

oh well, just have to make a viperdays event someday...

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guess I'm not going either. I don't get it. I can run on Pocono with my top off, but not W.G.?
Events are way too limited. I really need to get looking for some other events going on....

Later,
Andrew

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Alan M 98 GTS NY:
Chuck this isn't quite an open track event. The local Rochester Shelby Mustang club hosts the 2 day driving school event. I believe there are 4 run groups determined by experience and usually around 20-25 cars in each group. I think the upper groups might run solo without instructors I can't remember.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, any chance I could crash the party?

99t1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Safety guidlines are usually up to the event organizers. I have ridden in student's RTs at Pocono, Limerock and Watkins Glen without hard tops and it's very scary to think about that windshield pillar being your only defense in a roll especially when your helmet is often ABOVE it. Many instructors won't ride with you. If you are serious about running road courses you should think about safety and get a roll bar at minimum. The hardtop is not much help either.

call Jerry at Autoform

------------------ http://vca1.viperclub.org/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000287.html

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by 99t1 on 07-08-2001 at 09:37 AM</font>

OP
OP
Y

yellow02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Alan, have you recently taken your viper to the Vision Dodge dealership in East Rochester? Because I remember seeing one there with a number 19 on the side of it. I'm assuming that you have already taken your viper to Watkins Glen, and I would like to know the fastest speed you got it up to?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alan,
It was the lauren fix school... i talked via email with everyone i could and they told me without a rollbar in place no admit!!
they told me dont feel bad they denied the porsche boxster and bmw z3 for lack of a rollbar as well...
i dont see why at other events and i did mention to them vipedays
i can go but here i cant??????
they simply keep saying "no"!!!!
major bummer !!! seeing that i am just outside of buffalo.. it would have been nice...
oh well...

Mike H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran at Watkins last year in my street viper with my hardtop on with the Driving Ambitions group...had an instructor with me , and it was great.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Alan had the right idea, as he can be a great source of help during Viper Days, as Watkins Glen is his home track and he has plenty of seat time. Most groups will only allow around three 20 minute sessions, and Viper Days always gives you a minimum of four 30 minute sessions. Since the Race group will not be present thie opens up around 2 extra hours ( minimum ) of extra time. Many folks may be able to get in more practice ( bring some extra brake-pads ) and bug Alan to take you for a ride - or have him ride with you. RT-10's are okay to run in Viper Days if you have a hard-top.