Goal ... more noise! Opinions wanted....

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I currently have Random Tech Hi-flows and a pair of Dynomax Race mufflers installed on my '01 RT/10. Combined with my X-Pipe, this set-up makes for a really cool roar when I hit the gas. However, I think I am ready for a little more volume. :headbang: The two options I am considering are as follows:

1. Delete the cats and leave the race mufflers on each side
2. Delete the cats and add another set of race mufflers to reduce the ear busting sound that could result from option number one.

I really do not want to go with just straight pipes since my next door neighbors are nice. :D Has anyone tried either of the options I am considering?

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Steve. That was an awesome clip. I plan on staying with the stock headers since budget issues prevent me from making too many changes.

newredrt10

Former VCA National President
Administrator
Reaction score
Straight pipes are only loud when right foot is used to excess. I have straight pipes on mine and the neighbors don't object to the noise.

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those of you with straight pipes...

Was the loss of back pressure noticeable? Do you think it impacted your 1/4 mile times?

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go straight! I'm running straight thru as well and like the noise.

Great neighbors who also like the noise. Only constraint is not firing up too early in the AM. Rattles the glasses in the china cabinet across the street - so I'm told.

If you go sans cats and mufflers, roll the windows up when you want peace. Cuts the dB by a bunch.

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have straight pipes and I care a lot about noise in my neighbourhood. Let say that till I reach the hwy I only run my Viper below 1500rpm. It is safe and quite. Nobody complained about my Viper in the neighbourhood. However when on the hwy and no cops insight if I hit the accelerator and rev the engin at 5500rpm you can hear my Viper miles away.

Now imagine that noice in a tunnel ... I keep my rpm in the low 2000rpm (my viper is really quite) then I hit the accelerator => full throttle. I can tell you that people get really scared, its like an F16 passing in low altitude. It is so funny to see the faces of those people. This is my bad side ...

OP
OP
G

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You guys crack me up. I think I will go with the Cat delete and single pair of race mufflers on each side(just to be safe). I have a local welding shop that does excellent work so I will take the car in when I have a day off.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How about 3" straight pipe all the way back.....no cats, no muffler, no resonater?

Or bore a 3" hole in the sill and exit it right at the header connection to just behind the front wheel.....now THAT should make some NOISE!

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I start the car in the garage, our windows rattle upstairs and neighbors hear it almost 2 blocks away. I've never had a complaint. At WOT I've been heard 2 miles away. I've never been in a parking ramp where the sound of car alarms going off doesn't follow me to my parking place :smirk: . I also like to set them off just driving slowly down the street.

Just some of the extra pleasures of owning a Viper :2tu:

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
techanvi