Going from 17's to 19's - Help!!

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Going from 17\'s to 19\'s - Help!!

Have stock 17's and was thinking about going to 19's (F 275/30 or 285/30 and R 345/30). What is the impact on the speedo and odometer? Any serious considerations as why NOT to do this? I've heard that it will help fill the wheel well, but it must throw the speedo off!?

Thanks for your help!

Nuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Re: Going from 17\'s to 19\'s - Help!!

If you go on the Tire Rack web site it gives you the specs for tires including diameter. Going from 17s to 19s, depending on the manufacturer, would get you 1 1/2" at best and the 19' wheels and tires are ungodly expensive. You can probably get an 18' tire that is the same diameter as the 19 so it will fill the well for less $. The big wheels are more for handling and I would imagine the ride would be a little rougher as well. Easier to lower the car 1".Roe Racing has a Koni shock and spring set.

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score

[image]http://vca2.viperclub.org/gallery/data/512/461a010-thumb.jpg[/image]

I am also looking to upgrade however from 17's to 18's, There doesn't seem to be a lot of choices however with Rims past HRE's or Forglines, I personally like the old muscle car deep dish look.

Any suggestions ?

thanks from a new member

jim

BradBodily

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have you looked at Purner wheels? They are an excellent value. Mine are 19" and I love the look and ride. I did not notice any additional roughness to the ride but in my opinion the car feels a little more secure on the road with the additional contact area at the pavement. Also the wheels brought the tires right out to the edge of the fender which looks tons better than how the stock tires are tucked back under the fenders. You can see them here:

http://store.kbhperformance.com/viper-1031.html

BlackVenom

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Here are the 19" 16-spoke Purners on my car. The look and feel is great, plus the cost was very reasonable. I would go with the 285s up front, as they help fill up the wheel wells more than the 275s.

450Purners_19s.JPG

Stu Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have 19" rims on all four rims. They are 285 up front and 345 in the back on HRE's. They are Michelens. Love them. Yes, the speedo is off a little bit but not much. My buddy told me I was doing 64MPH when it my speedo read 60MPH.

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I have the 19's by Purner also. I took the car one day to work. Round trip is 83 miles my Odo read 74. So it is a little off. But I do Love the look!!!!