Good day at the drag strip

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to Lapeer drag strip today and posted a 10.58 on my final run. I figured after a 10.58 I'm done for the day. I was matched up against a race car with a full roll cage, slicks & skinnies and pulling 650 RWHP. After the start I never even saw him. As you can see from the time slip his 60 ft was slightly better but from there I pulled away and never saw him again. He did say he had some wheelslip in the beginning but I was still pretty happy.

As I was walking back to my car from picking up the time slip there were about 6-8 people standing around my car waiting for me. They were pretty amazed I was running in the 10's.
532Lapeer_9-4-06.jpg

I guess it really doesn't take much to get these cars into the 10's.
:2tu: :headbang: :2tu:

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on running 10's. What RWHP are you pushing? Did you run with BFG's DR/Kumho or Pilots?

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats on running 10's. What RWHP are you pushing? Did you run with BFG's DR/Kumho or Pilots?

The last time I dyno'd it was 610RWHP on a Mustang. But I think it was off. I'm going to re-run it again in a few weeks on a different dyno. I'm guessing it's actually around 670RWHP.

The 10sec run was on BFG drag radials. I found that the higher I launched the more I spin and of course the slower I go. The track I ran on was not that sticky. They don't do ANY prep like VHT or anything. They wouldn't even let me do a wet burn out.

mntngts99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
GTSnake
Nice run. :2tu:
With your mph on a good track that should be close to a 9.9x pass.
Was that run on all blower or boost + gas?

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a 10lb pulley. I run 50/50 mix of E85 and 93 premium. On that run I decided to turn on the N2O with a small 80 shot. I didn't really notice any HP difference but I think it was mainly due to a good launch. I only launched at 1,500 - 2,000. I don't know exactly since I was too busy looking at the tree. :2tu:

I don't know how good drivers can do all those things at the same time. Keep the revs constant, raise the clutch right before it engages, not roll through the lights and staring at the tree. :bonker: It must just be practice.

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Tom! :headbang:

I can't quite remember, but when you drove her home from Valpo, she wasn't that fast then, was she? :D

Congrats! That's just AWESOME!! :2tu:

I have added a picture from when she was a Tame, Young, Innocent beauty! :)

She's more of a A Bad *** HOT B*tch these days! :nana:

1494viper1-med.jpg

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn Tom! :headbang:

I can't quite remember, but when you drove her home from Valpo, she wasn't that fast then, was she? :D
She's more of a A Bad *** HOT B*tch these days! :nana:

Casey,
She's all grown up now. When I brought her home I raised her right. Now she's one haulin *** momma. Not as much of a screamer as your TT but she still gives me a good kick in the rear.

She had a nice little makeover last winter.
532CIMG0935.JPG

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have a 10lb pulley. I run 50/50 mix of E85 and 93 premium. On that run I decided to turn on the N2O with a small 80 shot.

So I went to the dyno today and it turns out my Nitrous wasn't even working. I guess I ran the time on only motor. And I was right on my HP guess. It dyno'd at exactly 670RWHP. I guess I know my own car. :headbang:

Earl_H

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats Tom,

I would have loved to run with you that day. I am ordering a twin disk for my car, which should be ready by the end of the month. Its gonna be tough to get the 500 miles of break-in in. I hope to be able to make some track passes this year with you. I'm not sure how your stocker held up, given that mine didn't even make it past the burnout.

Btw, was that a dynojet or mustang? Can you post the chart.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your 610 HP on the Mustang is the same as your 672.2 HP run on the Dynojet when you consider the conversion factor to convert a Mustang Dyno result to a Dynojet result. Dynojet numbers are usually at least 10% higher than Mustang dyno numbers. The two dynos work a bit differently. In any event, assuming a 12% driveline loss utilizing the Dynojet number, you are at approximately 764 HP at the flywheel without the nitrous. Nice numbers over a great power curve. Keep up the good launching. As to launch technique, Ranger, who is probably one of the best amateur drag racers in the country, if not the best, among the vette crowd, posted some detailed procedures on prelaunch and launch procedures and techniques within the last year on our forum. If you search the archiives under Ranger, you should find them. I found his posts very interesting and informative. He practices religiously and keeps copious notes on his performance and technique so that he can constantly improve. His level of discipline is extraordinary.

OP
OP
GTSnake

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
10psi and 80 shot? damn

I love stock looking vipers that run a number!

Actually the 80 shot wasn't even working as I discovered later. I always wondered why I didn't feel a kick when I floored it.