Greetings and Questions

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There were 117 RT's in 97, but they bring more $$$ for obvious reasons. I was thinking the glass windows began in 1996 with the intro. of the GTS, but it may have not reached the RT's until 97.

Vin info has alot of info about the car and what was offered and updated from year to year.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
ALL Coupes - Real Power windows, Gen 2 (450 HP) Motor
97+ RT/10's - Real Power windows, Gen 2 (450 HP) Motor
96 RT/10's - slider plexi windows, Gen 1 (415 HP) Motor, interesting unique characteristics (rear exhaust), color combos
92-95 RT/10's - Zipper vinyl windows, Gen 1 (400 HP) Motor, side pipes

No real probs except for some '92's (oil seepage), '95's were supposedly the most "bulletproof" of the Gen 1's sidepiped Snakes

Hope this helps.

Dave Adkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Marc,

The side windows really arent' that big of a deal as far as installing them/removing, or in terms of providing access to the car when it's sealed up and locked.
Asthetically, they are a bit odd looking, but the rest of the car more than makes up for the weird look with the "side curtains" in place. My biggest beef with the side curtains is the poor visibility.
The 1996 plexiglass windows are sharper looking thatn the zip-up-vinyl ones. The folding soft top is what takes a while to get used to, but with practice you can be able to "assemble" it and install it in about one minute.

Having said that, in Las Vegas you've gots of good weather that would preclude the need for the windows or the top. I'm in dreary-winter/fall Seattle, and I've gotta admit that I absolutely *LOVE* the glass power windows on my latest snake.

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the car is in Vegas, beware, it may be an ex-rental car.

If you're looking for a daily driver, I wouldn't even consider a GEN1 car (no roll up windows) It's a fun car but best for weekend sunny day driving.

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
98s have a few other benefits as well over earlier models (as well as having real windows and the gen2 450 hp motor):
- internal alarm shutoff (97 or earlier, have to disconnect the battery if you accidently set it off?)
- lighter and more powerful stock headers (~25lb lighter and ~3-5 more hp (undocumented))
- later 98s have the upgraded fan found on later model years (only $150 part though)
- silver became an option ;)

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't need windows often, but they sure are nice when you need them. But then, I really like the sidepipes, but then, more horsepower is always better, but then.....

I did the same thing. Thought I wanted side exhaust, thought I wanted smoothie hood. Got the 98 and never looked back.

As I said, you won't go wrong with any year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32