Grundy Insurance

Marc Lublin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone use Grundy insurance? I just got a very low quote from them for Classic/Collector car insurance for the Viper. It's about 1/3 of what I'm paying now for regular insurance.

Wild Bill

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the fine print. I want to be able to drive when I want to and where I want to.

Their cheapness comes with a price

Bill

Socrates

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Read the fine print. I want to be able to drive when I want to and where I want to.

Their cheapness comes with a price

Bill

Agreed -- I cancelled my Grundy application after reading the posts/stories on here. I'll stick with State Farm and pay my higher premium, but have complete peace of mind if anything whatsoever happens.

-Justyn

NOTV8

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Try Hagerty Insurance. I just applied for a quote and just waiting to get approved. I read it on the thread here that they are good. I think someone who totaled his car got the checked right away and not much of a hassle. They are also cheap if you raised your deductible which what I did. I apply over the internet and I saw already if I can save or not. Check it out.

Un'sidepiper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started the application process with Grundy back in early February. I had talked several times with their staff and was confidant that I had assembled all the info they needed: Application, photos, notarized documents, driving record (I had to purchase at the DMV wich took hours, but that is another story)and a check to name a few. My agreed start of coverage date was Feb 20th, which I also had set my existing insurance coverage to end on that date as well. Well February 20th rolled around and I had not heard anything so I called to check with them that all was cool. Apparently I had missed one of the many lines I was supposed to sign my name on one of the documents. So they sent it back for me to sign. Several days after the day my insurance was supposed to start I called again to see if they had my newly signed app. and they told me that my daily driver insurance was not enough and that I would need to increase that policy. So I did! By the time all this had happened it was March 15th. I faxed my new insurance verification back to Grundy and called right away to make sure everything was ok. I talked to a gal who said "sorry but you should have been declined a long time ago because you are only 28 years old and your daily driver is only a Dodge Dakota." I asked her what they care what I drive daily as long as it is insured and meets the State of California and Grundy requirements (which it did) and she said, "well a Dakota is not very cool and it would make you tempted to drive the Viper more miles than you have stated and when it may not be covered" I told her it is a Shelby Dakota and to me is actually very cool! Her response was, "oh yeah, I know all about Shelby Dakotas!"

At this time I imagined that this is how it could have been if I had got in an accident... she would have said "well black Vipers are not as cool as red ones so we can only give you $5,000"

Anyway I hung up on her and am still shopping!

Blue Streak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does "pleasure purposes" mean then as stated on their website? It looks to me like a Sunday drive, dinner with the wife, etc to me would fall under this.

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What does "pleasure purposes" mean then as stated on their website? It looks to me like a Sunday drive, dinner with the wife, etc to me would fall under this.

I asked Hagerty to be specific about this clause. "Occasional pleasure driving" is open to (their) interpretation. Taking new date out to dinner = OK. Driving to work when your daily-driver is in the shop = Not OK. Stopping at the liquor store (for condoms and cheap wine) on your way home from aforementioned dinner = Maybe. Sunday drive along the beach with a stop for breakfast = OK.

So far, so good. I had a towing claim with Hagerty's and they paid pronto, even though I didn't follow their towing recommendation. Another member on this forum got paid-in-full when involved in an accident (even though he was driving on the freeway...in rush hour traffic...on a weekday).

Hagerty's = OK.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

smfettig

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Check out Safeco. I have it on my 94. Its classified as a collectors car (1500 mile yearly cap, but who checks) for $630 a year. Its fully covered. That was the best deal I could find.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO these cheaper insurance policies with vague mileage clauses are way to open to interpretation by the insurer and who I think would be looking for any way NOT to pay off in full, since that is in their best interest. I would be very wary of this. You know they are going to say you were using the car incorrectly, had too many miles, you voided the contract by some action etc. I don't know if that is worth the chance.

2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is true that when a insurance co has a vague about their definitions it could lead to them denying a claim. However, i can tell from experience that Hagerty is very easy to deal with.

I had my claim paid without a problem, plus they paid a very generous amount. Doug Levin dealt with them and they paid everything he asked for. I know he has a car that he's doing a claim with right now through Allstate. They are giving him a hard time.

I have a friend who owns a body shop, he also said that most of the big companies such as Allstate, Progressive, Gieco, etc, are very tight with the purse strings.

I would recommend Hagerty over them.

Bill

Dohhunter

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any companies you guys know of that insure both US and Canadian customers with such "pleasure" policies?

If so I'll buy you dinner.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery