GTS, Borla, and Drone

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Here are the results of my sound-deadening adventure.

I have a Borla and, like many others, don't care much for the GTS drone. I added an X-pipe and that reduced some, but certainly not a whole lot, of the drone.

So I visited sounddeadenershowdown.com and purchased their CLD Tiles and MLV (mass loaded vinyl). I didn't get the closed cell foam (CCF) because I thought, hey, it's a Viper. It's not like I'm trying to win car stereo contests. I just want to have a noticeable difference in the volume of the exhaust and other noises.

Now for the specifics, which are often the most valuable information: I used 20 CLD Tiles, 28 sq ft of MLV, and one velcro strip in the trunk (and on top of the gas tank) . Both products are super-easy to work with and neither of them have any smell at all (big plus!). It took about four hours.

The results are wonderful. Huge reduction in noise!

I'm going to do the rest of the interior (doors & under seats) next weekend. Looks like that'll take around the same amount of material to do.

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the results of my sound-deadening adventure.

I have a Borla and, like many others, don't care much for the GTS drone. I added an X-pipe and that reduced some, but certainly not a whole lot, of the drone.

So I visited sounddeadenershowdown.com and purchased their CLD Tiles and MLV (mass loaded vinyl). I didn't get the closed cell foam (CCF) because I thought, hey, it's a Viper. It's not like I'm trying to win car stereo contests. I just want to have a noticeable difference in the volume of the exhaust and other noises.

Now for the specifics, which are often the most valuable information: I used 20 CLD Tiles, 28 sq ft of MLV, and one velcro strip in the trunk (and on top of the gas tank) . Both products are super-easy to work with and neither of them have any smell at all (big plus!). It took about four hours.

The results are wonderful. Huge reduction in noise!

I'm going to do the rest of the interior (doors & under seats) next weekend. Looks like that'll take around the same amount of material to do.

Would love to see some pics of how you did it if you have any.

S-JC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't take any before I put it back together. For the CLD Tiles, over the big, flatter areas, I just put the whole tile down (they're 6" x 10"). For the smaller areas, I sliced them up into pieces (6" x 5" or even 6" x 2.5"). As long as you cover at least 25% of the area with the tiles and don't leave any large expanses un-tiled, you should get nearly maximum benefit out of them. Then, for the MLV, you just cut it to the shape of wherever it's going. I simply measured each surface to get rough dimensions, then fine-tuned the cut after test fitting each piece. A razor goes through it like butter. You're going for 100% coverage with that stuff, but I'll admit that I didn't nit-pick. I left about a 1" gap around the edges over the gas tank, where the carpet goes under the trim, because it's a darn tight fit just getting the carpet to go back in there, let alone another 1/8" of material. The carpet goes in and out of the trunk rather easily; my big worry is getting it out of the passenger compartment, specifically behind the seats (next weekend). I've never tried there but it looks tight.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960