GTS or R/T10? No garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

searchison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is my first post, but I have been reading for a while. I am looking at getting a new toy in the next 6 months and have some questions. Th Viper is at the top of my list, but I am not sold on it yet. Not because I do not love the car, but because I have no garage. It would only be a pleasure car and would be coverred otherwise. Should I only look at GTS's with no garage or do you think either would be alright. Should I hold off altogether until I get a garage? Anyone without a garage please chime in. I had a 911 for 2 years without a garage and the only thing that sucked was in the winter I could not work on it in a heated garage like I would have liked to. I would do a search, but I feel my situation is a little different. Should I stay away from Gen. I. Thanks, I look foward to a great time on this board and hope it will be as informative as Pelican was for my P-car.
Thanks again,
Bill

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't imagine having a Viper and keeping it outside. Especially if you live in an area where a heated garage is necessary to work on cars in the winter. I would find a garage space to rent somewhere nearby. The peace of mind while you sleep would be priceless.

BADVENOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not a car to own in cold weather climates that you would keep outdoors year round..Rent a garage not to mention that your insurance premiums would be affected.. and have a piece of mind no one is F-in with it!

Adam

Reaction score
If I was faced with that dilema right now....I would look into the storage sheds. I had to do that for 6 months when I first moved to RI. At the time, that was what I had to do to have/keep my Viper....so that is what I did. LONG ago I did the same thing with my motorcycle when I was stationed on the USS Texas in Calif. Good luck!! :)

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that and you cannot park an RT outside in rain or snow as you will end up w/ water in the car, almost as sure as you are reading this, probably even w/ a car cover. I would not do it, rent a garage or storage space near by or one of those temporary garages to cover the car(northern tool and equiptment). i would not leave a GTS or RT outside the paint will end up screwed up for sure. unless you buy a viper with an already messed up paint and save some money in the process.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep my 94RT in a large carport alongside the house. The house forms two walls of the carport. I have a heavy cover. It has been there 2 years with no problems.

If you had to keep it covered out in the open, you would need to tie the cover in place to keep the wind from blowing it off. And every time you took off the cover, you would have to put it somewhere.
I just pull the cover forward and pile it in front of the car, back the car out and pull the cover back on when I come back.
It stays covered year round.

I'd rather have a garage but I wouldn't let that keep me from having a Viper.

MichaelP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that and you cannot park an RT outside in rain or snow as you will end up w/ water in the car, almost as sure as you are reading this, probably even w/ a car cover. I would not do it, rent a garage or storage space near by or one of those temporary garages to cover the car(northern tool and equiptment). i would not leave a GTS or RT outside the paint will end up screwed up for sure. unless you buy a viper with an already messed up paint and save some money in the process.

You may want to have a Viper tech take a look at your RT-10

I have kept my car outside during rain storms and no leaks. I see no problem keeping the car outside if that is your ONLY choice as long as you live down south. Wouldn't want to do it with snow.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Depends on your climate. I NEVER parked my RT-10 inside. Here in South Carolina, we have short winters and no road salt. I just washed the car every chance I could and took it to my warehouse to wax it in the winter. It also depends on the color. Red will fade fast in the sunlight because you'll grow tired of the car cover/uncover routine. I did. It now covers my cement mixer!

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No garage for the Viper? Reminds me of the nightmare in which I am sleeping naked on my front yard. Of course, I only have that nightmare after a knocking back a few adult drinks. Makes me wonder if ..... nahhh ....

2001 Sapphire Blue

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam has a good point about insurance. Talk to your agent and find out your premium differences ... if any. In the mean time, check around the neighborhood and see if one of your neighbors has a spare space to rent.

OP
OP
S

searchison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in NY. I might just get another P-car or Vette or maybe even a Mach or SVT Stang. Get the Viper when the garage comes in a couple years. I would also be worried about punk kids keying it at night. Not that I am in a bad area, but jealousy causes this sometimes. Thanks all.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I live in NY. I might just get another P-car or Vette or maybe even a Mach or SVT Stang. Get the Viper when the garage comes in a couple years. I would also be worried about punk kids keying it at night. Not that I am in a bad area, but jealousy causes this sometimes. Thanks all.

You are in NY too...I dont own a Viper but I owned a C5 for 3 weeks back in October before it got stolen...I dont have a garage and park on the street...I couldnt imagine owning any nice car let alone a Viper in NY without a garage after my 2 experiences...My advice is dont get it unless you have a garage...They just stole my Q45 on Christmas morning :mad: I am done with Brooklyn....I will not buy another good car until I move down south into a house with a garage hopefully next year....

BTW getting stolen isnt the only problem....Like the Vette the Viper has no rubber bumpers...If you saw my Vettes bumpers after a week of parking on the street you would have a heart attack...I swear people intentionally bumped it because its a Vette...Dont do it..

tim721

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I say get the Viper & just rent a garage. They aren't too expensive at all. I rent a 2 car garage, with electricity and opener for $100/month in Northern NJ. There are deals out there, keep looking you'll eventually find one. I searched for a while! It was all in sneaky pete's best interest.

If you can't get a garage, I wouldn't recommend getting the car until you get one. Piece of mind for sure. I'd be paranoid somebodys messin with it. Geeez, I even get paranoid leaving it unattended at a store for 30 minutes.

Maybe I just worry too much...

Good Luck in whatever you do

b3rndtt0ast

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a car. when i get mine it will be sitting on a army/navy base... think about how bad that is (just like a college campus)...