GTS record at the ring?

SSSSE YA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
With all the hype with the records being broken by Viper and Corvette and for now the Viper again, I was wondering what the lap times (or record) was for the GTS back in the day? :drive:

Thanks,
Robert

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The GTS-R ran the FULL N'Ring for times, not just the NordSchleife (north circuit?) and may have held a full-course record. Might still have it! But the 1996 GTS run was a press-tour.

I am unaware of any official, and certainly no "record" for any GTS...

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
A Euro spec version GTS ran a 8:10, with 375 hp, I think.

fastestlaps dot c o m track 2 html

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ring is now the benchmark for bragging rights.

Not really. Many vehicles dont make it out to the ring cause its a waste of time and money. Did you follow the thread of how much it costs for shipping/support let alone the track rental fee?

Back in the GTS's day the Ring wasnt on most car-guys radar. Heck, it wasnt even on the Gen3's radar. The ring Fad didnt pick up untill but a few years ago.

The benchmark for comparing sports cars for me is what they do on the tracks that I can do a track-day on. And the ViperACR holds records on nearly every USA track it has set rubber on which i am proud of. California tracks like LagunaSeca are a great comparison as many cars get out there and there is consitant enough climate/weather to accuratly compare vehicles. The same can Not be said for the Ring.

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The Ring has been there since the 20s. It's not a fad, it's just that most Americans weren't aware of it until lately, when it became common knowledge on the internet

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not really. Many vehicles dont make it out to the ring cause its a waste of time and money. Did you follow the thread of how much it costs for shipping/support let alone the track rental fee?

Back in the GTS's day the Ring wasnt on most car-guys radar. Heck, it wasnt even on the Gen3's radar. The ring Fad didnt pick up untill but a few years ago.

The benchmark for comparing sports cars for me is what they do on the tracks that I can do a track-day on. And the ViperACR holds records on nearly every USA track it has set rubber on which i am proud of. California tracks like LagunaSeca are a great comparison as many cars get out there and there is consitant enough climate/weather to accuratly compare vehicles. The same can Not be said for the Ring.

You mean many American vehicles don't go. LS may be the benchmark for you, but not for the rest of the world.
Certainly not Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo etc and just about every other Euro or Asian manufacturer.
Waste of time? Yeah maybe if you are some tub Mustang or mid level performance sports car.
Pretty sure the Viper got a lot of advertising mileage out of the two Ring records it has held and holds.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
haha, LAMBO, your kidding right??? I could sit on ocean drive in south beach or somewhere in LA and ask the 10-20 Galard/Murch owners that drive past in an hour what the Nürburgring is and they would think i was talking about a german hamburger with a hole in the center:rolaugh:

Even ferrari owners could care less about the Ring laptime there car can put down. They would buy the car regardless.

Pretty sure the Viper got a lot of advertising mileage out of the two Ring records it has held and holds.

Yes & No

This point may be based on your perception as a viper enthusiast. Sure we had alot of Ra-Ra-Ra within the VCA, But also think about it from the competetors( LFA/Z06/ZR1/GTR/GT2/GT3) point of view. Did you read their forums? Some haters, Some give proper respect and then move along as it becomes yesterdays news as they are more concerned about the passion they have for their particular vehicle. Go out to a car show. Talk to some of them. Ask them if they cosidered switching up to an ACR based on the Ring record. Next, think about this scenerio: Chevy&Lexus go back and both break our record by 5 seconds. Are you as a loyal viper enthusiast even going to consider purchasing either one?

I understand the significance of the Ring record to the Viper community. It strengthened our breed. It raised our spirits even when viper enthuziests spirits like mine&yours were already off the charts:)
It did what could be partialy explained by reading through all 19 pages of this thread:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/648072-Vipers-looking-for-revenge-at-The-Ring-Today!!!?

The Ring has been there since the 20s. It's not a fad, it's just that most Americans weren't aware of it until lately, when it became common knowledge on the internet

I know what the Nurburgring is. I & my friends grew up racing the course on our playstations:) It is a well respected racecourse that is famous for its Endurance races of which hasnt much to do with the production vehicles we are talking about. The Fad that i am talking about Did start a few years ago due to manufacturers "battling" for the record starting when? like 07/08?

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
Dom, I see what you mean now, about it being a fad for mfgr's to post a great Ring time.

Personally, I am a fan of ANY racetrack! :^) There are so many great tracks in America, it's hard to say which is best. They all got a certain something.

The Nordschleife beckons all to come, and test their mettle. It's a good thing, because it evens improves the Viper. First, 7:22, then 7:12, all within a very short space of time. Makes you wonder if Dodge was really trying the past 15 years previous. When you have a standard with worldwide recognition, it's "put up or shut up", and the bs walks. Having a worldwide standard, Jeremy Clarkson can't claim we live in a bubble, constantly patting ourselves on the back, oblivious to the world standard.

Beating them in their own house may not make some Euro snobs like us, but at least they will have to admit that we can go around corners, not just "with the best of them", but even faster. "Respect"!

FRC Z51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For me the Bench mark is seeing vipers Winning races like the 24hrs le mans, ALMS Series etc That was a major factor to me getting mine ;)

Those cars are so far from "stock" it can hardly be used as a bench mark. The numbers posted by factory cars at the Ring are for a vehicle that can be purchased by anyone off the street. In my opinion, and I'm sure most will agree, that's a much better argument.