guess they were'nt kidding !!!! 08

PET SNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tires on my 08 slid and fish tailed left to right in cold under 40 degree weather, hit my rim and small scratch on passenger side in front of tire:mad::omg::nono: ive owned many sport cars,lambo's benz,vipers etc.never lost controll in any car and i do get on them!!! New tires really dont like the cold weather,i tried to feel car out for 300 miles seemed fine ,just today she seemed to really slip around turn so i pulled it back and she slipped the other way fast,so i pulled her back again!could of been alot worse so im kinda lucky i guess.
I need an H spoke wheel and probably an alighnment, any suggestions for wheel? Really feel like a dumb *!#

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yup, they're definitely summer only tires.

They're also not good in the rain. In snow they won't even move the car on a flat surface.

Short shifted my 98 Roe sc'd GTS at 90mph and was 90 degrees to road direction instantly. Good thing it returned just as fast.

Best traction after a burnout during summer though.

Ted

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tires on my 08 slid and fish tailed left to right in cold under 40 degree weather, hit my rim and small scratch on passenger side in front of tire:mad::omg::nono: ive owned many sport cars,lambo's benz,vipers etc.never lost controll in any car and i do get on them!!! New tires really dont like the cold weather,i tried to feel car out for 300 miles seemed fine ,just today she seemed to really slip around turn so i pulled it back and she slipped the other way fast,so i pulled her back again!could of been alot worse so im kinda lucky i guess.
I need an H spoke wheel and probably an alighnment, any suggestions for wheel? Really feel like a dumb *!#

Wow, that's crazy.. you should write a letter to Chrysler, maybe suggest a warning label on the dash.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh Man I hope your kidding... We sure dont need any more F-ing "******* learn how to drive said mommy lawyers" warning stickers in our cars!

Flash

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, that's crazy.. you should write a letter to Chrysler, maybe suggest a warning label on the dash.

A warning label would be great! Something along the lines of this:

WARNING: You are driving a Viper. It is 600+ HP of fire breathing, Vette eating, demon. If you can't handle it, surrender your keys to someone with bigger cajones.

Flash1034

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A warning label would be great! Something along the lines of this:

WARNING: You are driving a Viper. It is 600+ HP of fire breathing, Vette eating, demon. If you can't handle it, surrender your keys to someone with bigger cajones.

or "Warning: Idiots should NOT drive this car. Serious injury or death may occur." :nono:

Flash

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I drove back from Los Angeles to San Jose today. Got my paxton tuned. I drove thru rain on 19/20" PS2's. Came over the pacheco pass, big hill area where you climb up and over the mountains. Went thru standing water, steep declines thru the turns, accelerated up the hills, speeds 0f 60-80 mph, never had the car feel unstable. Yet I didnt drive like a dumba$$ either. Just smoothe and steady on the gas or brakes.

I saw 3 wrecks on that pass, one of which had the life flight helicopter and each of the 3 accidents involved between 3 -5 cars. None of the cars in the accident had PS2's. Not even the smashed up CHP car. Dont be so quick to blame the tires. This car is alot to handle, but can be driven in rain or 40 degree weather on just about any tire.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I drove back from Los Angeles to San Jose today. Got my paxton tuned. I drove thru rain on 19/20" PS2's. Came over the pacheco pass, big hill area where you climb up and over the mountains. Went thru standing water, steep declines thru the turns, accelerated up the hills, speeds 0f 60-80 mph, never had the car feel unstable. Yet I didnt drive like a dumba$$ either. Just smoothe and steady on the gas or brakes.

I saw 3 wrecks on that pass, one of which had the life flight helicopter and each of the 3 accidents involved between 3 -5 cars. None of the cars in the accident had PS2's. Not even the smashed up CHP car. Dont be so quick to blame the tires. This car is alot to handle, but can be driven in rain or 40 degree weather on just about any tire.

I gotta agree here. I've never had problems driving in the rain, cold or any other conditions, and I'm due for new tires. The ONLY times I've had some traction issues was when I was intentionally being stupid with the car... but I was expecting it, so I made sure I had plenty of room for recovery.

PetSnake: The fact that you start off by saying you've never had problems... that you've owned lambos, etc... to me, shows that you've gotten a bit complacent and comfortable with high powered cars. Maybe ur a stud with older Vipers, but the new one definitely makes you a rookie once again. Sorry for the damages, but at least it wasn't too major. Enjoy learning to drive all over again! :2tu:

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Tough first post - could have been a lot worse. Cold tires + 600 hp can be a recipe for disaster. Welcome to the "snake bit" club - you're not the first, and certainly won't be the last. Good luck in the future.

FrankBarba

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Doesn't sounld like your use to the Torque. Just glad you did't wrap you viper around a tree. Have lots of respect.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
PS2's are sold with the following disclaimer from Michelin...

"The Pilot Sport PS2 is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice."

fastmd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All true performance tires become like plastic in temps under 40. This not a tire problem, but a user problem. Good luck.

OP
OP
P

PET SNAKE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
To those of you who had a nice reply thankyou!! To the other profesional drivers maybe one day i can be like you...I guess until then i'll keep practicicing,as for as horse power...other toys CL 600 TWIN TURBO,2 LAMBO'S
7 corvetes,2 sl 600,3 vipers,a/c cobra,HORSE POWER IM USE TOO!! maybe just didnt allow enough room for error on my part..so i learned a lesson!! ONCE AGAIN THANKS TO THOSE WHO WERE COOL!!

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think it is time to go back to the drawing board. I will ship you my 96 GTS to relearn on, in the mean time send me your "fixed" 08 to make sure the alignment is correct. after you have "practiced" enough we will swap back. This is a one time offer! lol
dont fret it, the car is sneaky and bites you when least expected!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just chalk it up as a lesson learned.. it can happen to anyone. Until you get comfortable yet desire the need for speed, try not to do it with a passenger or around other people on the road, surely you would know there isn't traction control like the AC Cobra you have had, and if it was a big block, it's a another torquey snake that likes to whip around..

It's hard to say what advice to give since you owned alot, but one of the most dangerous situations I try to be aware of is when passing another car on a 2 lane road is the dreaded flat spin.. best to ease off the gas then change lane, then accellerate, then ease off and change back into the lane after you passed the car, otherwise throttle down zig zagging over the painted stripe and crowned road is a recipe for disaster for these torque monsters..

Good luck and welcome to the board, you'll find most are ok here, heck I've been called names or ridiculed worse by friends, and hey.. who was the first to call you out as being a dumb *!# ? Reminds me of the Chris Farley skit.. :rolaugh:

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
One thing I am constantly surprised not to see, is a reference to the pavement. A 40 degree day in the Midwest does not mean the pavement is that temperature or warmer, and we seem to always blame a tire. Alot of it has to do with the time it takes for the pavement to heat up, and with repeated evenings in the 20s or lower, the pavement is often a long way from even matching the air temp.

Tires take a bit to heat up, but the pavement could take days, and one warm day is not often enough to do much. Keep in mind it takes 1-2 laps to heat up a tire on a road course in the Spring and Summer, so why wouldn't it take longer to do the same in the Winter or early Spring?

adamlotus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if your gonna drive your viper on cold days and rainy days you need to slow down and just drive normal and you will be fine

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dear Sylvan,

Well , looks like I had better read more thoroughly , as you sure as heck did mention the pavement. I will go back to my room, and get my reading glasses, have a little Geritol, and take a well needed nap,ha.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Glad you didn't hurt more than a wheel.

One of our new guys in a "new to him" 2003 just bounced off the curb 5 or 6 times and totaled his car. About a week before that he laughed when I suggested he go to Viper Days and get to know how to handle his car. He was a former Porsche guy.....

Take it easy in cold weather. Cold pavement, cold tires and a "new to Viper" driver can be challenging.

Consider taking your car to Viper Days. Viper specific instruction doesn't get any better.

Dan

PS PS2's are very good in the wet, just not good in the cold.

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup, they're definitely summer only tires.

They're also not good in the rain. In snow they won't even move the car on a flat surface.

Short shifted my 98 Roe sc'd GTS at 90mph and was 90 degrees to road direction instantly. Good thing it returned just as fast.

Best traction after a burnout during summer though.

Ted

Actually I've read that the PS2 tires are one of the best rated high performance summer tires for wet roads.
But with snow and ICE all bets are off without snow chains.

I'm glad that the accident was minor, and it's actually a good wake up call to be extra aware of the current power to traction ratio in a new Viper.
At least your new toy will not be sidelined for long.:2tu:

SSG CHIC

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Don't beat yourself up too bad over this. You aren't the first person to lose control of the snake and I'd bet you won't be the last. Chalk it up to lesson learned, get her fixed and get back out there.

In the meantime, these guys are gonna poke fun. Just look at the bright side, when it happens to the next guy, and it will, you'll get to poke fun, too.:D

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ease up on the testosterone guy`s **** happens:nono::mad::eater:

I really haven't seen anyone in this thread being overly critical of the guy, other than pointing out what may have cause the problem (cold conditions, aggressive driving, and not being prepared to handle the new HP). Nobody here enjoys hearing about a damaged Viper, but the guy isn't coming at it with the right attitude. Ultimately, he's trying to blame the car... cross referencing his other thread here... it's best he gets traction control. :rolleyes: