Hard Brakes finally fixed

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After replacing all the pads,installing cross cut and drilled rotors, up-grading to Tom's bigger rear calibers and installing a nice used booster and master cyl. I still had the hard brake pedal problem and hardly any braking, slowing down hard from a quick pull. It just didn't have any brake pedal travel. Over $1500 invested at this point with still the brakes of a Yugo. My son decided it had to be the prop valve. So he pulled all the guts out of the back of the valve and it helped. Now you could get the back to lock up, but still no brake pedal and not much braking. So he pulled the guts out of the front and sure enough, we have brakes, real nice strong brakes. For some reason, the prop valve was not letting enough pressure to the front calibers. Now I have to get a rebuild kit to replace the guts we took out. Does anyone know who sells a kit or do you think it's a dealer item? If anyone needs a brake booster and master cyl, I have a nice used one for sale and if anyone needs original rotors and pads with 7500 miles on them, I'll let them go too. Thanks to all that helped during this trying time.
Dave

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

More details on pulling the guts out of the front, please. I didn't think there were any guts on the front, since there is no pressure limiting feature for the front brakes. It should be a simple "T" function to pass fluid from the one line coming from the master cylinder to the two front calipers.

There is a pressure differential valve that senses if the fronts or rears are not getting pressure - it's what makes the red idiot light come on.

Glad it's fixed, though.

OP
OP
Z

z76232

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I get my camera back in a couple of days I'll post some pictures. There was a valve of some kind with some O-rings on it that came out of the front of the P-valve similar to what came out of the rear only longer. There's a elec switch on top of the valve that we had to take off and plug because fluid came out the top of it. Need to fix what was in it or relace it altoghether.
Dave

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Z, Is this is what happened to you? After you finished installing the new parts you probably foot bled the brakes instead of using a low pressure power bleeder or a vacuum bleeder. The valves plunger will move to the side that has no pressure as if to stop the leak or fluid flow. Sometimes it's real hard to get it centered again so fluid will flow out of the blocked side. The brake light should have been on too. You should be able to just put in new O rings and push the valve to center. The best way to bleed the system is with a vacuum bleeder from the calipers.