Has anbody done a lightweight flywheel on their SRT? What do you think?

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello;

This mod intrigues me because of the quicker rev benefits; however, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.. correct?

So, lighter flywheel= quicker revs and response

Lighter flywheel MAY (I don't know for sure)= less inertia which = more throttle in order to get moving, even with 525lb of torque.

The quicker throttle response also might cause alot more of the "Bucking Bronco syndrome" which happens because we already have such tremendous power.

Barely touching the gas pedal might make for a very jerky driving experience perhaps.

What is you opinion from someone who has done this mod? Love it, or hate it?

Jim :usa: :)

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throttle response in the SRT is so much more linear than the Gen I/II that the bucking syndrome should be much better. I have not experienced bucking like my RT/10 in the SRT yet. It bucks like a bronco - need to push in the clutch before it gets excessive.

Really do not feel like pulling the trans in the SRT yet.

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really would like to get the alum. flywheel in my 03. I had them in previous cars and they are great. A popular hotrod magazine did a big write up on this subject a while back. The write up was about 6 or so pages long. It was very convincing about the benefits to using the lightweight flywheel. One thing I very much recommend to do is putting in the Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, while you're at it. The smooth feel and very noticeable bite when launching or shifting in to second are great. I love upgrades such as these that have no drawbacks, only noticeable improvements, well cost is a factor, but there not that much. If these cars have the same weak clutch as the former cars did, you will have a problem, now that the car is geared a good bit taller, by way of an increase in tire rolling size of 1.3 inches,and not to mention the big increase in engine torque, and that is ******* a clutch. I can't wait to change these things out, and I'm not even into ********* racing, just sprinting around on the street.

Skip W.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Throttle response in the SRT is so much more linear than the Gen I/II that the bucking syndrome should be much better. I have not experienced bucking like my RT/10 in the SRT yet. It bucks like a bronco - need to push in the clutch before it gets excessive.

Really do not feel like pulling the trans in the SRT yet.

Make sure you sync. your TB's! I had the problem on my 96 and when they got aligned, problem disappeared almost completely,

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget that the crank sensor has moved on SRT to the back of the block and uses notches in the flywheel as its targets. An aluminum flywheel would need steel inserts located properly to run the ecu.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I drove a '00 GTS (twice), I only experience the "bronco" syndrome when I went over some deep highway ruts (going into them like waves), this made my foot **** and depressed the gas quickly. I never experience the "syndrome" from lauch (hard or soft).

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The comp coupe flywheel is lighter than the street SRT-10

It's all steel (not al or inserts)

It will go into the srt-10 but not earlier vipers

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know more about what Dave said? Am I to understand that the regular aluminum flywheel will not work in the car? I guess the flywheel manufactures will know about this.

Skip White

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A regular aluminum flywheel from the earlier cars will not work. The crank sensor target (notches) was machined into the crank on the earlier cars with the sensor located about mid-block. The SRT has targets (notches) machined into the back of the flywheel because of the new crank sensor location. The car will simply not start with an incorrect flywheel because there will be no crank signal.

As a post above mentioned, you can use the lighter flywheel from the CompCoupe.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for providing your insight. KNowing information like this could save a lot of money, along with blood, sweat and tears. I cannot believe what it would feel like to go through a complete trans, clutch and flywheel removal only to find out you gotta do it all over as it won't start. Ugh!

BTW I haven't been able to DCap the bog condition due to the cool and rainy weather. Basically found out that warm/hot temps facilitate the frequency of occurrence. I have an I box installed and waiting. Jeff set me up with everything.

Dyno Dave

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jeff is out on a hot trip starting sometime next week. If you get any data decap'd send it to Jeff and myself. I have a copy of the autoload so I know which channels are which.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, hope for warm weather. I need sunshine so I can get out of this stupid house :) Plus I want to get some miles on the RT/10. It needs exercize!