Has anyone encountered a new Mercedes E55?

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering how a NA Viper would do against the Supercharged Merc?

Anyone care to share?

G

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talking quarter mile, a 55 is good for 12.3-12.4's at 112-114 mph, with any living human being with two limbs behind the wheel. As you know, Vipers can run a myriad of times depending on driver but a good one should be able to best the 55.

Chad

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now the same question from a roll on... Say 3 honks at 40, who's gonna pull?

CHAD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at those mph's. A good driver should best those in a Gen II or III Viper.

Chad

wiseasp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 2004 E55 and I hate to say it, but it WILL take a stock GTS from a stop and from a roll. The car is FAST. I have seen some run as low as 11.8 in the quarter. I have not been able to take it to the track yet.

ROB :usa:

Saleen-Explorer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
112-114? Friends of ours took theirs to the track and were clicking off around 12.3 at 117 stock at Moroso, didn't car and driver get a 12.3 at 118 also for the E55?. Friggen car has a crapload of torque at any rpm or speed. It feels every bit as fast as the Viper, the car is really a monster from a roll. 1st time I went for a ride in it I could not believe how hard it slammned you to the seat. Sounds like a damn big block also (both inside and out).

gtsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just saw a European show on cable that compared an SL55 to an SRT. The SRT beat the car in most performance categories but not by much. I have both an SRT and a CL55 and just sold my Gen II RT/10. The CL would pull the Gen II car with no problem but it doesn't handle as well. The SRT will beat the CL from the line. No comparison in the other categories....the Viper is a clear winner in performance.
The CL is the clear choice going to dinner on a date though. (The SRT for dessert works well)

Reaction score
My friend has an 04 E55 with smaller pully on blower,sent his computer to renntech to rework it,changed his air intake,ran 12.2,raced him on the street,beat him 5 times .Once his car heated up ,his times got alot worse.My car is 97 stock gts

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran into two silver 03/04(new model) E55's here on Hwy 270 (which is a 5 lane hwy). They were in the fast lane one behind the other. I had my girlfriend in the car but I'm not sure if they had any passangers.

I pulled up to the one in front and got his attention. We slowed to 55-60 and then both hit it. I was up 2 car lenghts on him -- at least. We slowed again and did it one more time, same outcome.

Then I just hauled a$$ and they didn't bother to keep up. An upgraded E55 would run with/beat me, but these were obviously stock.

Sweet rides, maybe after my C32 I'll try one out. For now the 350hp my C32 provides is good enough "daily driver" power. :D

It's pretty crazy when a 4-door sedan is running with a true sports car! :shocked:

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like I might need to order a blower right after I purchase my GTS!!! lol

SnakeEye

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Yes, I've encountered the E55 and in a short run walked him pretty good during the roll-on from about 35 to 75mph (second gear). The E55 is respectably fast for a sedan but stock for stock is no match for an SRT-10. Since the owner lives in my subdivision maybe I'll have to see if he'll run my Z06. He should have a little better showing in that contest but we will just have to wait and see.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The car moves. Those cars are FAST! My brother wants one of those things and keeps telling me, I will beat you with it. I am scared. LOL!

Now an SL55 in a six speed (ONLY IF THEY WOULD MAKE IT!!) would be a FASSSSSSSSST car. I had an SL and only wished they made it is manual. I would have loved the car even more, if that was possible.

xSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My neighbor has an E55 AMG. At the time I had an ‘02 z06 (stock), and we went out one night to find out what the deal was. It was night probably about 60 out. We did 4 runs, and except for the one where I completely blew the launch, they were all the same. We stayed dead even until about 3rd gear, where I very very slowly started to pull. Each time we did up to 115-120, and I was maybe 1, 1.5 cars ahead. He only had like 2000 miles on it, so maybe it will get faster in the future.

I have another neighbor with a C32 AMG (mid 13sec car), and both had witnessed the difference between my z06 beating his C32 and the GTS destroying it; enough so that the E55 neighbor didn’t see any reason to try the Viper after seeing the z06 pull on him.

I’m sure it’s like any other car with ~500hp, where you can find an example that will run X, and dyno at X on one day, and another example that will run .2 - .3 sec faster and dyno 20-30hp. Enough to account for one person’s stock Viper beating an E55 one day, and another persons stock Viper loosing to an E55; Viper driver being the main factor.

VIPERMAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A friend of mine on a stock 99 RT/10 told me that he lost by a very small margin to an E55 with few bolt ons (exhaust etc ...) I am not sure what the exaact HP on that specfic benz was but I saw the car and it's really impressive.
I will be running him sometimes this month ... I'll let you know what the outcome is :)

VIPERMAN

Viper Owner
Reaction score
And by the way there is a CL65 already out in europe and that will probably be produced in US next fall ...
I don't even want to imagine what would happen if they decide to put that engine on E and SL classes ... :confused:

JWVIPER

VCA Member
Reaction score
All I can say is WOW ! This is a 4 door family car. I will bee looking to trade up my sedate E320 to the new E55AMG package in the next year. My Viper needs a fast brother parked next to him.

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

EA6BPilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little off the subject, but amusing nonetheless. The driver that delivered my Snake from Vegas also had an E55 on the back that was totaled (or at least pretty well mangled). As I was paying him for the delivery, I asked him what the heck happened to the car. He said that a woman drove the car to a nightclub on the Strip in Vegas, got too drunk, and asked the valet to give her a ride home. While on the drive, she "repaid" him for his courtesy, and he lost control of the car while she was doing it. He then slammed into a concrete median and caved the front end in. I guess that when you deal with that much power, in any vehicle, you should not fool around unless you are at a complete stop!
:eek:

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never raced a E55 AMG, but did run that C32 AMG. It was late at night, and no one was on the highway. I made him look REAL bad in front of his girlfriend (passenger seat). He spotted the Viper from behind, and initiated the race, by tailgating me and revving/hopping the car. Fine if you want to race, but don't tailgate from 1 foot a-hole.

We were doing 60MPH when the hammer was dropped. He disappeared real quick, as I pulled umpteen cars to 150MPH. I was around 2 football fields ahead, and put on my flashers/hit brake to let him catch up. This time, I let him get the jump, then blew buy him to a 1 football field lead. Put on the flashers/brake. Let him catch up. I did this process another time, and finally he gave up. Then I let him catch up, wavved to his girlfiend and pointed to my car, and hammered the gas to disappear for good. Sure, I was being a d*ck, but if you're going to nearly touch my bumper with your wanna-be sportscar, expect to get embarrased if my cars capable.

SJT97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Never raced a E55 AMG, but did run that C32 AMG. It was late at night, and no one was on the highway. I made him look REAL bad in front of his girlfriend (passenger seat). He spotted the Viper from behind, and initiated the race, by tailgating me and revving/hopping the car. Fine if you want to race, but don't tailgate from 1 foot a-hole.

We were doing 60MPH when the hammer was dropped. He disappeared real quick, as I pulled umpteen cars to 150MPH. I was around 2 football fields ahead, and put on my flashers/hit brake to let him catch up. This time, I let him get the jump, then blew buy him to a 1 football field lead. Put on the flashers/brake. Let him catch up. I did this process another time, and finally he gave up. Then I let him catch up, wavved to his girlfiend and pointed to my car, and hammered the gas to disappear for good. Sure, I was being a d*ck, but if you're going to nearly touch my bumper with your wanna-be sportscar, expect to get embarrased if my cars capable.

The C32 is respectivly fast, but not E55 fast. My C32 doesn't hold a candle to my Viper, although it's fast enough for me to drive around on a daily basis. Evosport & ReNNtech both have pully & ECU chip upgrades along with the SL55 intake. That can put a C32 from 350hp to over 410hp. They are quick cars for a 4-door sedan, and I love to drive it around town! A Mercedes-Benz Forum member in SOCAL has the chip/pully upgrade and runs 12.9@111-113 all day. Keep in mind this is also at Carlsbad raceway, which is crappy.

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was on the Autobahn last week and saw what looked like a SL65 (may have said 55) and an E55 cruising up on me about 250kph. The only reason I think it may have been an SL65 was the way it pulled the E55 when I got out of the way (at just 200kph) They were both out of sight in less than 20 seconds....

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met one last Saturday on the autobahn.
He (E55 AMG, new model) had NO chance!

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These two Mercedes had me good! I was in a rental. The only thing available with a nav system was an Opel Corsa 1.2 liter 4 door! Ever drive for 5 hours near redline in one of these? Oh yeah, round trip make that 10+ hours in one day.

OP
OP
G

Gregnice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I met one last Saturday on the autobahn.
He (E55 AMG, new model) had NO chance!
You have a Viper in Switzerland???!!!! That's not fair! I was there 2 weeks ago, in a small town called Monthe! What a beautiful country, with roads to die for! That kind of torque on the banked hairpin turns!!! :2tu:

I visited a cousin who has an original LeMans GT40~! Amazing!

Cheers,

Greg

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
>>>You have a Viper in Switzerland???!!!! <<<
Bavaria = Germany =NO (general) speed limit.
Member of the VCA Switzerland.

>>>That's not fair! <<<
I know - and, in fact I have two.

:)))
:))
:)

96 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The E55 AMG is only one of several cars that are currently available that are seriously FAST. Mercedes has several models that will give you a run for your money. When the SL65 AMG comes out, you better call Heffner for an upgrade. Just think how stupid you'll feel when you get thumped by some rich ******** in his SL65 AMG. All he has to do is stomp on the gas and steer. :headbang:

ViperGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The SL 65 AMG will have a price tag (rumour) of over 200,000 EURO. Is approx. 240,000 US$ depending on the exchange rate!

I don't care much about cars in that price range. And, a comparison to cars with a price tag of 70-80k makes NO sense.

BTW, I like the new Benz's. I thought about buying the new SLK-V8-AMG for a daily driver...