Has anyone installed the Snake Oyl Door Hinge Repair Kit?

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I received and installed the Snake Oyl door hinge repair kit, and all it does is push the door closed (I thought it was supposed to keep it opened). The instructions are terrible, and a picture or explanation of how it's supposed to look after the install would be great, but all it says is (after removing hinge and and counter sinking bolt) "Assemble new hinge retaining springs with supplied hardware and check with straight edge (to make sure the counter sunk bolt clears) and reverse door hinge disassembly procedure."
Also, the ad says:

"Tired of doors that won’t stay open? Or doors closing before you can get your legs into the vehicle?
Snake-Oyl Products has developed a door hinge spring repair kit that replaces the broken retaining springs on your door hinges.
What was once only repaired by replacing your hinge with a new costly door hinge can now be repaired at a fraction of the replacement price. Each door hinge kit includes 2 new retaining springs with 2 new slave springs, hardware & simple instructions to replace your broken hinge springs in a minimal amount of time. Door hinge spring replacements are sold in sets only (enough for both door hinges)."

...and I only got enough for 1 door. Is this normal?

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did a write up a couple of months ago. It is made to hold the door open. My order had a pair of the springs. You are correct the directions were VERY bad and the functionality is also suspect.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I just did a thread about (learning something I didn't know) I got them also & just last week had one installed on my driver side door & we couldn't figure out WHY when we opened the door it still wouldn't stay open (after putting the new one on), so I emailed them & kurtis emailed me back & said that the Viper doors have one lobe (meaning they ONLY stay open when the door is opened all the way). If you just open it half way it won't stay open (most cars have two lobes). I guess that's why they were so cheap (if you want to call $130 for 2 hinges cheap) compared to everybody else. Hell, if I'd known this before I bought them, I would have just lived with it. It's definitely not a $130 better just staying open when you HAVE to open the door ALL THE WAY! Definitely Mis-Leading Ad! jmo

OP
OP

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have just bought a new door hinge. I know it would have been more, but it's worth it to me not to have to take it off and adjust it 4 or 5 times and still not have it work properly.

mattdillon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I should have just bought a new door hinge. I know it would have been more, but it's worth it to me not to have to take it off and adjust it 4 or 5 times and still not have it work properly.
Yea, once you take it off its a PIA to get it adjusted back right! jmo