Headers & Cat Backs.... 10 to 60hp gains claimed.. what is the truth?????

Kai SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Headers & Cat Backs.... 10 to 60hp gains claimed.. what is the truth???

Here are before and after dyno graphs of my car.

The run with less power was with k&n's only.

The run with more power was with B&B headers, high flow cats, and Corsa Track exhaust.

Not a huge gain for $5500. However, I'm going to do some head,cam,valvetrain work on my engine in the future, so I figure it's probably not a waste of $$$. If I was planning on keeping the rest of my engine stock, I wouldn't bother with headers, although I would probably go with the track exhaust just to eliminate the crossover.

You must be registered for see images attach

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

im actually having my B&B headers installed as we speak on my gen 2, ... but since they were a christmas gift why not right lol

Stugots,

How do you rectify giving yourself a christmas gift to saaaaay yourself like B & B headers not count??

:D

LMAO no my dad bought them for me for Xmas lol

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dmitry, the Gen 2 cars went to short tube headers, back in 98 or 99. This is one on the things that made up for the down grade in cam overlap, therfore keeping the horsepower the same on the car. It really did help those cars a decent hand full of horses.

Skip

Must have been in 2000 Skip because mine are NOT short tube's and Also I have the "non down graded" cam.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Here are before and after dyno graphs of my car.

The run with less power was with k&n's only.

The run with more power was with B&B headers, high flow cats, and Corsa Track exhaust.

Not a huge gain for $5500. However, I'm going to do some head,cam,valvetrain work on my engine in the future, so I figure it's probably not a waste of $$$. If I was planning on keeping the rest of my engine stock, I wouldn't bother with headers, although I would probably go with the track exhaust just to eliminate the crossover.

You must be registered for see images attach

That probally came just from the cats!

vd..

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Cat removal alone on mine netted 5 hp. Coupled with low restriction mufflers the gain was 10 hp. That is still with the crossover. If the corsa is without a crossover the headers provided almost nothing. If not they were still only a marginal improvement. At half the cost of a Paxton it seems like a waste of cash.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Cat removal alone on mine netted 5 hp. Coupled with low restriction mufflers the gain was 10 hp. That is still with the crossover. If the corsa is without a crossover the headers provided almost nothing. If not they were still only a marginal improvement. At half the cost of a Paxton it seems like a waste of cash.

wow isn't that what i was saying all this time.

hello

vd..

lol

:2tu:

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

this is my run on a mustang (low reading)

with

vec2
stock headers
cust home made exhaust
k and n

6400exhaust_vec2_kand_dyno-med.jpg

I made more hp and tq with stock headers and saved $5000+. I must be doing something wrong here.

vd..

ps please ad 15% due to mustang dyno

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

this is my run on a mustang (low reading)

with

vec2
stock headers
cust home made exhaust
k and n

6400exhaust_vec2_kand_dyno-med.jpg

I made more hp and tq with stock headers and saved $5000+. I must be doing something wrong here.

vd..

ps please ad 15% due to mustang dyno

Just to let everyone know (in case anyone wants to deny this( that dyno sheet IS legit I dyno at the same place as Viper D which is VOS and I saw that sheet myself.

And Viper D your right about the 15% its almost EXACTLY 15%, I put mine on a dynojet after going to VOS and it was 14.88% MORE then the VOS dyno sheet said.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

can someone super impose these two dyno sheets?

thanks

vd..

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I just got back from the Silver State Classic Road Race run outside of Ely, Nevada, elevation 6500 feet. At this altitude internal combustion engines really struggle to make power. Kai (Colorado) will tell you this.

One interesting comparison / event is noteworthy to this discussion. No, I did not have a dyno and this is not scientific, just a real event. I ran my car, as equipped in my signature, against another Viper owner with an 03 SRT-10 with Paxton and everything else I have but headers / exhaust. His tuner seemed to believe as ViperD does. I finished 15 + mph faster in the 1/2 mile drag than he did. His Viper sounded like it was a jet taking off, the exhaust noise / air speed coming out of his side exhaust was sooooo great.

I had installed B & B step headers / exhaust, he had not. When he asked me my speed, he was floored by the difference. I'll be he's getting new B & B headers / exhaust pipes right now .....

When you push that much air into your engine, it' gotta get out. Good headers / exhaust just make good sense on these big cube engines.

Dan

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I just got back from the Silver State Classic Road Race run outside of Ely, Nevada, elevation 6500 feet. At this altitude internal combustion engines really struggle to make power. Kai (Colorado) will tell you this.

One interesting comparison / event is noteworthy to this discussion. No, I did not have a dyno and this is not scientific, just a real event. I ran my car, as equipped in my signature, against another Viper owner with an 03 SRT-10 with Paxton and everything else I have but headers / exhaust. His tuner seemed to believe as ViperD does. I finished 15 + mph faster in the 1/2 mile drag than he did. His Viper sounded like it was a jet taking off, the exhaust noise / air speed coming out of his side exhaust was sooooo great.

I had installed B & B step headers / exhaust, he had not. When he asked me my speed, he was floored by the difference. I'll be he's getting new B & B headers / exhaust pipes right now .....

When you push that much air into your engine, it' gotta get out. Good headers / exhaust just make good sense on these big cube engines.

Dan

who says that the stock headers don't do that?

if you were closer I would love to race you!!! ;) ;) ;)

vd..

vipersrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dan

who says that the stock headers don't do that?

if you were closer I would love to race you!!! ;) ;) ;)

vd..

-He just said it...... " everything else I have but headers / exhaust. His tuner seemed to believe as ViperD does. I finished 15 + mph faster in the 1/2 mile drag than he did."
Does momma still hold your hand when you cross the street?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

his post isn/t that clear.

and keep your dum *** remarks to your yourself about "momma"

vd..

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Yeah Viper D,

I'd love to race you too. You'd get a good look at the best looking black rear end going, my SRT-10.

Too bad you're so far away. We could run the 1/2 mile or the mile. The quarter is really too short for real men.

The B & B exhaust system I added made an additional 40 + rwhp and rwtq on West Coast Viper's dyno. I have the before and after dyno sheets. I'll bet it's even more with the supercharger.

And the 1/2 mile drags at the Silver State were a rush. Maybe you could make it next year and we could race there? I'll send you the info if you're interested or you could log on to their website, http://www.sscc.us/results-05-norc.htm#125.

You could actually get the car out and drive it in winter. You will only need a roll bar and hard top, driver's suit, fire extenguisher, helmet / nomex lined, nomex shoes, gloves and underwear. That along with a couple of bucks for the entry fees, hotel and meals and you'd have a blast.

What do you think?

Dan

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

X why modified SRT but bone stock GTS?

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Yeah Viper D,

I'd love to race you too. You'd get a good look at the best looking black rear end going, my SRT-10.

Too bad you're so far away. We could run the 1/2 mile or the mile. The quarter is really too short for real men.

The B & B exhaust system I added made an additional 40 + rwhp and rwtq on West Coast Viper's dyno. I have the before and after dyno sheets. I'll bet it's even more with the supercharger.

And the 1/2 mile drags at the Silver State were a rush. Maybe you could make it next year and we could race there? I'll send you the info if you're interested or you could log on to their website, http://www.sscc.us/results-05-norc.htm#125.

You could actually get the car out and drive it in winter. You will only need a roll bar and hard top, driver's suit, fire extenguisher, helmet / nomex lined, nomex shoes, gloves and underwear. That along with a couple of bucks for the entry fees, hotel and meals and you'd have a blast.

What do you think?

Dan

Can I bring my n20 and Lp as well?

vd..

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

nice to see on that list that the viper is #1 in half mile and full mile.

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

ViperD,

You'd need it.

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

what ever it takes!!!!!!!!

vd..

ps can you post a dyno sheet to support your hp gains?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

what ever it takes!!!!!!!!

vd..

ps can you post a dyno sheet to support your hp gains?

and for god sakes the gen 2 feels left out mod her lol

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Hey Stu,

Did things in reverse, bought the SRT first, then the GTS. Not to worry, mods are forthcoming.

X

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

Hey Stu,

Did things in reverse, bought the SRT first, then the GTS. Not to worry, mods are forthcoming.

X

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Stu,

X

thats what i like to hear lol

VIPER D

Viper Owner
Reaction score

750 rwhp hum???????? any dyno sheets????????

No offense but every one talks smack but no one put up the proof to back it up.

I guess i wont need my nos and propane. It looks like i can give you a head start and still win.

vd..

Viper X

VCA Officer
Reaction score

No, I don't talk smack D, never have needed to. I can't post these pics - haven't taken the time to learn how to post pics on this site - but if you doubt me, call West Coast Viper.

It should actually be more like 760rwhp now, but I haven't dynoed since the roller rockers were installed and the gears were changed back to 3.07 w / Quaife from 3.55 (no traction). West Coast's dyno was down during my last visit. They have my dyno runs on file. Ask for John or Dan at West Coast. These guys are very good at making reliable power. 951-676-1204.

And you will need your nos and propane if you're planning to run at the Silver State without headers. And I'll still whoop you or at least have fun trying.

Dan

Daniel Cragin/DC Performance Inc

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

With a good header, exhaust and computer tune, 25-35 hp can be gained on a SRT. Our Competition Coupes gained 30rwhp with header and computer change only.

No current headers are smog legal. They all require custom heat shields (do not try it without). No aftermarket cats are certified for the SRT and removing the cats is bad for the environment.

Normally aspirated engines with cam and head changes benefit greatly from headers. Supercharged engines hit the wall at about 700rwhp without exhaust changes.

This has been my experience, yours may be different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness