Heat in driver side footwell

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have noticed excessive heat in the driver side footwell when driving at slow speeds with the top down. Does not seem to be there with the top up and the windows up. Am I missing a seal around something. Yes you can cool it down with the A/C but the passenger side gets cold then. Would like to see this addressed on the new Members only forum Thanks Mike

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have noticed excessive heat in the driver side footwell when driving at slow speeds with the top down. Does not seem to be there with the top up and the windows up. Am I missing a seal around something. Yes you can cool it down with the A/C but the passenger side gets cold then. Would like to see this addressed on the new Members only forum Thanks Mike

I believe there is insufficient weather sealing in the fire-wall-to-toebox area.
When the cockpit can support flow-thru ventilation (ie top down or windows down) then it ***** hot air thru the are of the pedal-set-throttle-cable directly into the car. Check it out. You can feel and locate the hot-air streaming in.

But when you seal the cockpit, especially when you pressurise it with fan-on AC, it is enuf pressure to minimize this hot-air flow-thru. Then again, maybe I'M just the hot-air!

OP
OP
A

ABADASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
JonB I thought that was what the problem was. Just checking if it was an isolated case, which it must be I have posted three times with many views but no replies. If they were driving with the top down at slow speeds they would have noticed the excessive heat. I will have to see if I can locate the problem. Mike

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
ABADASP;

Call Tim at ATP (Advanced Thermal Products). They are listed in the "Marketplace" or accessories section,etc on this VCA site.

These folks make the real deal for serious insulation for all the top race cars, military, etc. It isn't cheap, but nothing good is. They are developing "Cool Viper" kits right now, available in different "Stage" packages for the SRT-10. We will be able to target and treat heat areas of concern.

Give ATP a call, and ask for Tim.

Sincerely,

Jim Wallace

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally, the first reasonably warm day this YEAR in Michigan. Now I feel I can comment on SRT heat also. Took a several hour drive with the top down. I found that hot air was streaming into the cabin at certain speeds either over the windshield or right near the mirrors. You can move your hand up and down at the A pillar and find a hot spot where some very toasty air is coming around and being deflected by the mirror. I don't know if this is the only source of hot air but I can say it gets quite warm inside, especially when cruising in stop and go traffic.

I tried turning the A/C on on floor vents only and it cooled down the foot area but it was still warm higher.

I agree the cats have to go, but I am uncertain how much impact that will have if the heat is coming from the engine compartment. It kind of seems like the hood vents are too far rearward and don't provide adequate air mixing before the air gets to the cabin.

Hope we have more warm days to evaluate this further.

homesite

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone make pipes to remove the cats? I want to keep the rest of the system.

yahllib

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes,with the top down heat gets sucked into the car. Unfortunately it will flow to the low pressure area which would be the footwells. There should be some shiny insulation under the carpet which blocks the heat from the engine and the exhaust. The a/c temp is usually only 20 or so degrees lower than the air temp. The a/c works better when your moving cause the hot air is cooling the side sills.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4