Heffner Twin Turbo Viper

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up this 1998 GTS with the Heffner Twin Turbo Stage 1 package from around the Miami area. I really like it and it runs crazy good. Does anyone know anything about this car? Any input would be appreciated. :dunno: :rolleyes: :omg: :D :D :D

Last edited:

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Congrats on the new car. I saw that one for sale...Looked like a nice car. Built motor?

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks, I got an email from Jason Heffner and he told me it dynoed 850 h.p. to the wheels on 93 octane and that they didn't dyno it on C-12 so its a 1000 h.p. Viper, Stage 1 package he said. Thats all I know. Its not the power yours has but I like the older body style.

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
is that casey's old car ?

more pics and i might be able to help you. or search for casey here or on the VA

EDIT: found him for ya. http://forums.viperclub.org/members/casey.html

Thanks a bunch for your help. I found thru what you sent that it is his old car and from what I read he took very good care of it as it is in the exact same condition now. It is like a new Viper. I tried email to him but no response. I want to find out all the info I can about it. It runs GREAT, but I think the plugs are fouled from sitting around and need to know what plugs are reccommended. I am thinking NGK. It has autolite in it now. Believe me, I will take as good as care as Casey did so I won't let him down on that. He must have good taste as he sure did a good job on this Viper. Are you very knowledgeable about this car? Anyone else know anything about Casey's car?
All input is greatly apreciated.....:2tu: :eater: ;)

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats! Very nice GTS!

I think that car is a GT35R car.

Thanks, it is by far the best gen 2 Viper I have had out of 3 previous gen 2s.
Yes, it is the GT35R, but I don't know anything about that. Is that good, bad, or indifferent? :dunno: :rolleyes: I've only had a RSI TWIN TURBO and this is my 2nd Turbo and I know nothing about Turbos, except that I really like them. :D :headbang:

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must have got a great deal to buy with zero knowledge about it

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, it cost top dollar... I just took a chance on it after tossing around 4 TT Vipers and getting with Jason about this one to verify it was one of his builds. I dwelled on all 4 for a good month and this was my pick without any further knowledge so yes I took a big risk for sure but now I feel confident that I made a good decision.

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have bought 8 Vipers, sight unseen and no knowledge of anything, but thats just the way I have been on dozens of cars over the years. If I want it I buy it and deal with it.

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Roy,
you are out of control young man....................:D

When are we going to take it to the track? :2tu:

I will take it to the track after I get a fresh tune, and get familiar with the car as far as reliability, handling,etc.It won't be until racing season starts back and I will aim for the first Pro-Mod date at our track in Holt. I will never go to Montgomery track again. I am jinxed on that track. Thats one of the worst tracks I ever went to and I am going to stick to 1/8th mi except I may go to Bradenton when the Vipers are there. I normally don't race just any test and tune night. I like to race when the big boys are there and there is alot of spectators if i am going to put wear and tear on my cars. You need to come to OUR track in HOLT. Its one of the best 1/8th mi tracks there is. Bring the TT Viper you bought. I want to see it run, and we can line them up, hee hee... :2tu: :headbang: :D :drive:

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how are heffner kits set up, I only see one pipe coming up from the intercooler splitting in to two on the intake instead of other tuners cars that have 2 individual pipes coming up like ugr or rsi. Any advantages or drawbacks this way? Or both the same thing basically and depends on your intercooler?

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how are heffner kits set up, I only see one pipe coming up from the intercooler splitting in to two on the intake instead of other tuners cars that have 2 individual pipes coming up like ugr or rsi. Any advantages or drawbacks this way? Or both the same thing basically and depends on your intercooler?

Wil someone please explain this to LS6 because I don't even know
other then I believe the one I have is a GT-35R which is an earlier version of the present set-up which to me is far more a pleasure to look at when you raise the hood then mine. (Like an ole dynosore) :dunno: :eater:

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That is one of his earlier versions. It may have even shared some cold piping with his Paxton kits back then, don't know. I only know of 2 cars with that kind of setup. All others I know of have the typical two pipes into the intercooler, and two pipes out into the throttle bodies.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Simms......Thanks for the input,ONLY 2 GT-35Rs??? :omg:

Clarification, only two GT35R's with that type of plumbing that I know of. The other car was Gary Javo's old B/W TT. There could be more with that style .

There are other GT35R Heffner cars with the updated/newer plumbing. That was a common turbo size for a long time and still used today on many street TT cars.

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like the eary set up, with the "y" going into the throttle bodies, and the intercooler piping from the turbos to the intercooler running inside the engine bay.

Tturbos should be GT35Rs(61 mm) T3 with a .58 AR.
Plugs: Autolites 3923 gapped at .028

The switch on the console is a hi/lo switch. On my original set up there was a manual boost controller under the passenger dash that would control the boost setting for the HI switch position.
there were some marking on the knob to more or less get it to a 12 lbs, or 15 lbs, setting.

With the switch off, the car would be on Waste Gate Springs. Mine was on 6 lbs.
The 850 rwhp depends on boost setting, on a stock motor on my car it was around 14 lbs, and it needed race gas.
Pump gas was 650-680 rwhp on around 10 lbs., again this was on my 97 GTS on a stock motor with the same turbos, but the dual piping set up to the throttle bodies.

Although those turbos don't have great top end (party is over at 5500 rpms), they kick hard as ****!!
I remember the first time I got into the throttle on mine, coming from a 780 rwhp Vette...
I totally freaked out, and got out of the car shaking...

V10TT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you need to re-tune the car, assuming the car has an AEM, Mike Brito is your guy. He is in DelRay Beach.
954-444-7518
He has a Load dyno, and will dial that car in on the Money!
Tons of knowledge!
He can also add and tune a nice water/**** kit that will allow you to run max power with straight 93 octane on the tank. You will never think about race gas.

OP
OP
R

Roysviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
V10TT....Thanks a bunch for all the input and everything. You really have your stuff together I see and I appreciate your sharing this with me. :2tu:

Bandit400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Clarification, only two GT35R's with that type of plumbing that I know of. The other car was Gary Javo's old B/W TT. There could be more with that style .

There are other GT35R Heffner cars with the updated/newer plumbing. That was a common turbo size for a long time and still used today on many street TT cars.
I also have the earlier Heffner TT Design with the Y pipe. My conversion was the number 2 or 3 TT car that he did. The conversion was done back in 2003.

Bandit400