HELP! 97 GTS, no AIR Conditioning, ideas?

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 GTS, no cold air. Freon pressure is good, and full... Car is very low mileage. Is there a "known" easy fix I'm not aware of? Figured it might be a fuse,relay or some minor/known issue on these cars..

Thanks in advance to all.

OP
OP
R

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, I dont think the compressor is starting. Which leads me to believe its a power supply issue? The AC system was completely checked out by a Viper Tech less than 1000 miles ago, and worked perfect. Oring issue was fixed and all. Now, nothing.. No gradual loss of cold air. Just one day working, one day no workie..

No abnormal noise or anything.. When the AC is on, nothing really happens at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
R

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want to diagnose at home, its time to start checking powers and grounds.

thanks. So many issues on these Gen2 cars are "known" as common, I was hoping someone like the Wizard, could point me in a direction. But yes, I will need to have a Tech look at it, if not. Im no good at elec. diagnostics.

aacrewchief

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, I dont think the compressor is starting. Which leads me to believe its a power supply issue? The AC system was completely checked out by a Viper Tech less than 1000 miles ago, and worked perfect. Oring issue was fixed and all. Now, nothing.. No gradual loss of cold air. Just one day working, one day no workie..

No abnormal noise or anything.. When the AC is on, nothing really happens at all.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would first confirm whether or not the compressor is actually kicking on and off. If it does not kick on at all, make sure your a/c system still has a charge. If all your freon has leaked out and/or the sytem has no pressure, the a/c system is designed not to turn on the compressor because damage could occur. If the system does still have a charge to it then there is some type of pressure switch that controls the compressor and it could possibly be the culprit...

hope this helps at least a little...

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
do you have a cooling fan on when a/c is on? thats the first thing to check if you know its definatly full of freon..next will be to see if you have power to coil at compressor--and so on

OP
OP
R

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would first confirm whether or not the compressor is actually kicking on and off. If it does not kick on at all, make sure your a/c system still has a charge. If all your freon has leaked out and/or the sytem has no pressure, the a/c system is designed not to turn on the compressor because damage could occur. If the system does still have a charge to it then there is some type of pressure switch that controls the compressor and it could possibly be the culprit...

hope this helps at least a little...

it does, thank you. I wonder if there is a way to confirm this? Or do I just start replacing stuff, on an educated guess?

do you have a cooling fan on when a/c is on? thats the first thing to check if you know its definatly full of freon..next will be to see if you have power to coil at compressor--and so on

If the car is cold, and I try to start the A/C. The answer is NO, the fan does not go on. But yes, once the car is fully warmed. The fan goes on and off, on a cycle.

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What he means by checking whether the compressor is "kicking on", is you should be able to see or hear see whether the clutch on the front of the compressor is being actuated. The pulley on the compressor is always turning when the engine is running. The front "cover" on the pulley is the clutch pressure plate. When AC is not turned on, it does not turn with the pulley. When AC is first turned on, it should be pulled by an electromagnet to "connect" with the pulley and spin at the same speed as the pulley, thus turning the compressor shaft. You can see that if you get in there while it is running, or you should hear a slight change in engine noise when you turn AC on and that clutch engages. Turn off the AC and it should disengage. In normal operation, once the car gets cold, it cycles on and off

Why it wouldn't work is many reasons, from a switch to a sensor to a fuse or possibly a relay (if a '97 has one?) or bad connector or even a bad coil in the clutch. You really need someone electrically savvy to trace this down unless it is as simple as a blown fuse or loose electrical connector to the AC clutch.

Last edited:
V

Venomiss

Give Ivan ** a call.
He is the South Florida VCA region president.
My bet is he can lead you in the right direction on who to have check it out.

OP
OP
R

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for all the help. I appreciate it. Once I get a spare min., Im going to see if it cycles on and off. Honestly, I dont think anything is happening. Usually when you turn the AC on in a car. You get that instant loss of power feeling. I get nothing.. No fan, no "kicking on" feeling. No action at all. Just keeps running as normal. Its a 1997 with only 10k miles, and a viper tech did check the entire system over in 2008 (prior to my ownership, but do have receipt to prove this)

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the cooling fan should be working if the a/c is turned on in the car for the most part

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just fixed a similar problem a few months ago.

While Diagnosing the problem it was verified that the compressoer was kicking on then immediatley kicking off.

Freon was good also.

Turned out to be the control board. i.e. The controls in the car that you adjust the AC and temperature etc.

Be aware if you order a new factory part from Dodge they have bad stock. i.e. the usin gthe correct part number will get you the wrong part. Have someone open the box before shipping and verify that you get a controller that has a "snowflake" on it.

Ultimately I had to go with a used part since Dodge kept sending me a control board that did not have a setting ("snowflake") for A/C on it.

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my RT/10 there was a vacuum line on the passenger side near the cowl that came undone which resulted in no A/C. I think it was the control for the vent flaps. Put that back together and all was good. Might be worth a look.

OP
OP
R

RPHJR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great advice, all.. Thank you... The control board is a good one. Never thought about that. Thanks

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is a switch to keep the compressor from running if the pressure is low. This is because the refrigerant carries the lubricant for the compressor; no refrigerant maybe no lubricant, so the safest thing is to shut it down. This switch is a unit with a plug near the sight glass. You can remove the plug, jump across with a paper clip. If it is only low freon (r-134a) then the compressor will come on. <-- Simple trick to see if the system is low or really dead.

Others have mentioned the cooling fan. When the AC is turned on, the two-speed cooling fan should run on high speed. It should do this even if the engine is cold and the fan is not running at all. If the engine is warmed up and the low speed fan is on, when you turn the AC on, it should then run at high speed.

If you can have someone else turn on the AC while your head is under the hood, the compressor clutch makes an unmistakeable "clack" noise when it engages.

I think the fixes are usually simple. (Although I never heard of the circuit board problem!) On my '94 I have only had to change the o-rings on the compressor itself and it runs great.

Warning - the compressor gets extremely hot, not only from being close to the engine, but from compressing the gas. Hot, as in injury to skin if you touch it for more than a few seconds.

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Be aware if you order a new factory part from Dodge they have bad stock. i.e. the usin gthe correct part number will get you the wrong part. Have someone open the box before shipping and verify that you get a controller that has a "snowflake" on it.

Ultimately I had to go with a used part since Dodge kept sending me a control board that did not have a setting ("snowflake") for A/C on it."

If I remember correctly, the part # is not wrong (5245298) but the snowflake symbol is masked by a dot/piece of the same black material than the face is made of.
You just have to peel it of .
I believe that the reason was for Dodge not to stock/manufacture 2 type of control. (car with A/C and car without it such than the ACR)

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
97 GTS, no cold air. Freon pressure is good, and full... Car is very low mileage. Is there a "known" easy fix I'm not aware of? Figured it might be a fuse,relay or some minor/known issue on these cars..

Thanks in advance to all.

Nope.

You're gonna have to look a bit harder....(as you know).
If you were close I'd PM you and offer to help... Sorry, not enough info. to offer a fix IMO...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang