Help! A question about white smoke from new exhaust system?

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had new smooth tubes, K&N filters and a Snake-Oyl rear sub assembly (All purchased from Parts Rack) installed today on my '99 RT/10 .
On the way home from the shop (a 2 mile drive)the car had quite a bit of white smoke and a burning smell coming from the rear.
No change in temperature was noticed.
Is normal "burn off" from the new exhaust?? or should I be concerned!
Thanks.

kARLUG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I HAD THIS SAME CONDITION WHEN I INSTALLED HIGH FLOW CATS AND BORLA MUFFLERS ON MY RT. A MECHANIC FRIEND ADVISED THAT IT WAS PROBABLY COMING FROM THE CATS "BURNING IN". I EXPERIENCED THIS FOR THE FIRST COUPLE HOURS
OF OPERATION AND IT WENT AWAY.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have the same assembly,

It is normal. Black stuff will spew out of the tail pipes too. Don't drive it right away. Let it sit for 30 minutes idling initially after you install the pipes or the black stuff will get all over the rear. After wards, there will be errant black spots that show up on the paint. Just make sure you have a good coat of your favorite polish/wax on there and it comes off pretty easily. I usually carry some Z6 and a cotton towel to wipe up the black spots that end up on the rear facia after driving in order to clean them up before they harden and are difficult to remove.

OP
OP
V

Viper99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ulyssess,
You are right on target.
I spent about an hour with the Z6 last night getting rid of the "black stuff".
Thanks for all your replies, I feel a lot better now.
(Just wish they'd tell ya this stuff when you get the parts)

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tony,

I forgot to add that a lot of dust gets kicked up back there as well. Not a good idea to wipe off the black spots with the dust still there. I usually get the old california car duster out and get rid of the dust first. I guess the safest way is to wash the car to get rid of dirt and dust but it sure would be a pain to wash it off after every drive.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BSchillinger:
I think the SnakeOyl's come with a coating inside that burns off, as well. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactamundo....Normal. ENJOY THE SOUND !

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The california car duster is one of those mop like things where the fibers are wax impregnated. You can get them at Costco. You don't want to use it when you first get all that black stuff on your car after installation because it's going to be really gooey. Best to wash that stuff off. Don't use pressure on the duster. Just glide it over the surface.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've only had them on since December. Seems like the output exponentially decreased. I still get several here and there, but much much less than the first few drives after installing the pipes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drock187