HELP! Brake dust won't come off!

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HELP! Brake dust won\'t come off!

No need to clean my wheels, I don't brake!!
cool.gif

Actually, just carwash solution, water, and carwash cloth takes it all off real easily. Now if only I can get all the off-track dirt out of my car, that'd be something ;)

Kurt 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

First, Zaino the wheels!! Then soap and water should do the trick. This works great for me!!
smile.gif

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

For Outter Surface of the Wheels: Murphy's Oil Soap, Soft Cloth, and Luke-warm Water

For Inner Portion of Wheels: Hot Water and a Rag

This always does the trick and I've never had spots, streaks, or loss of shine.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use Zymol Wheel cleaner, then Wheel Coating. If I get a stubborn stain I use brake Cleaner. I never let any of them sit.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Prepare the wheels with Zaino Z-5. Then mist with Z-6. Buff.
Brake dust removes easily with an old Calif.Car Duster after this preventative.

White-Wheel Maniac's hint: Before a track day you can spray cooking oil PAM on cold wheels, being extremely protective of the caliper and rotor. (besides, hot oiled wheels smell like chicken!) Later, hot water easily SWOOSHES off all the PAM and impregnated dust!

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had great results with simple green and a soft brush for really stubborn grime..
smile.gif

Zaino works like a charm once applied though.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Will

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You guys are all putting way too much effort in to this. I use Windex and a paper towel. WORKS GREAT!

-Will

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score
HELP! Brake dust won\'t come off!

Hey all,
I was washing my car and used brake dust removal spray for the rims. I had 2 brands - one was Black Magic, I forget the other one, but I assume they were similar ingredients.

I sprayed the rims, let sit for couple minutes and then used a hose to wash it away. since there was still some residue, I did it again, this time letting the stuff sit for 5 minutes.

unfortunately, after washing it off, there are these streaks where the spray liquid had trickled down due to gravity.

I tried scrubbing like a mother- you know what, but they won't come off. So now each rim has a few streaks about a centimeter wide and 10-17 inches long!

I assume I can get the rims polished/buffed, but there has to be something I can do myself cheaply. Any "abrasives" that will do the trick without ruining/scratching the rims?

It looks so bad, I'm tempted to break out the steel wool and some Comet! **** it! Just kidding. I'm no fool!

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Bear in mind that Viper wheels are clear coated..it is possible that you have used a cleaner that is not safe to use with clear coated wheels. All I avhe ever had to use on mine is soap and water. I would try a clear coat safe polishing compound or similar product to dry and remove the streaks.

viperct2001

Viper Owner
Reaction score

soap and water?

are you kidding me?

I tried using soap and water the first time I washed my car and I had to scrub like crazy to remove the brake dust. Maybe cuz the dealer didn't wax the rims?

that's why all subsequent times I used the brake dust remover stuff.

Poll: How does everyone do their rims? any recommended products and methods that doesn't cause carpal tunnel or a brain aneurysm from the strain of scrubbing? (not that i'm anti-putting some elbow grease into cleaning my car. Just i remember soap and water was a pain in the butt)

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I use Zaino car wash and water. Works fine!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I recommend using the wheel cleaner from www.griotsgarage.com It is approved by BBS and it works great at removing brake dust. I also use their boars hair brush to scrub the wheels and the three finger mit to get in behind the spokes. I've also found that one of those multi-spray nozzles used on a flat spray will remove most of the break dust even before using the cleaner.

Matt