HELP!!.. How to remove oxidation?

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somebody please help me..

This Saturday I went to check on my car. It is stored at a heated garage in town since I don't have one myself, and I noticed some severe oxidation on the rims and on the gas cap!!!
Can this be totally removed so the rims and cap will be like new again? If so.. how, and can I do this myself? How much does it cost to re-chrome these things?

Thanks a lot for your help!!
Erik

PS: The rims and cap is stock.

Ulysses

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stock rims? Yeah, you could do it yourself if polished and/or powder coated/painted. Takes a lot of time and the cost of rim repair is only about $130.00. The old time vs. cost thing. The cap, I don't know about cost, but you certainly can't chrome it yourself unless for some reason you have the equipment, but you can polish it up pretty easily. Without a clear coat, it will be subject to the elements and oxidize again.

OP
OP
F

Falconeer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a quote from a wheel repair shop. They say that they charge 1000 CAD for a total rebuild and treatment of all four wheels. This is way too much right?
They say it's because of the clear coating.. they have to remove it to get all the way down to the root of the oxidation. Is this true or are they trying to hustle me?

All advice is appreciated!

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before you send them off for someone else to polish try some Maguires Mag Wheel Polish. It shouldn't hurt your clear coat (if you have any) and if it does the wheel place was going to remove it anyway. After you are through use this: www.wheelwax.com -- my wheel guy swears by it. If you use the Wheel Wax there is no need to re-clearcoat anything. You can do all of above on the gas cap also. Good luck!

P.S. You can find out about Flitz here: www.flitz.com -- it works good too!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missjazzyfitness