HELP!! Installing Lowered Shock Caps!!!

BlackACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried to call Sean Roe to help with install. He was gone for the day. Is there any easier way to install these shock caps on the Viper. I have a 1996 GTS. I have seen where people have installed them with out removing the springs and shock from the car???? Or, if I do have to remove the whole assembly what are the steps? Any input would help, Thanks, Tony

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to compress the springs much to get the spring caps off...the black bump stop at the top of the shock is split for easy removal, and that will give you an inch or so of extra room...after you have compressed the springs a bit...I have been able to use spring compressors from Sears while the suspension was still on the car...

But honestly, it's rather easy to pull the suspension, and the front goes back on real easy...the rears can be a PITA to get back on...and you can stiffen up your Koni's dampening while they are off...

Upon re-installation, the top bolt is 100 lb ft tq, and the bottom is 135 lb ft tq, and load the suspension up a bit when you tighten these down...(floor just under control arm)

Snake Bitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You don't have to remove either bolt if you are not going to take the suspension off....the spring cap has a slot in it, and if you tilt it right with the spring compressed, it will slide out easy...You simply have to compress the spring enough to tilt the cap, and slip it out...

But you're half way there, on stands, tires/wheels off...may as well pull em, and adjust the Konis....

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I did mine, I just jacked the car up and took a come-along (with nylon straps, not cable) and looped the strap through with one side tied to the suspension, and the other to top of the coils and I was able to compress the springs enough to get the spring caps off.

I did have to pry them out, which was difficult, but not impossible. The total time took a couple hours to swap them all. And then I had to take the car to get it aligned.

But I think that the results are well worth the effort.

-Dean.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webironmongery