Help little girl fix her viper!

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
random misfire number 4 and 9 cylinder. Check the Plug, plug wire or coil pack.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Atppilot. Been meaning to call you about this.....

whats the plug/wire pattern again?

4 and 9 are on opposit sides right? why would white smoke be coming from just the drivers side. also drivers side seems to have some type of fluid in the exhaust..Always moisture/fluid right at the exit of the drivers side exhaust

sigh........

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blue is generally oil, while black is fuel. Pull plugs and inspect.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
White smoke could mean a head gasket leak (water/coolant in the cylinder). I'd get a compression and leak down test and get a scope into those cylinders to see if anything obvious is going on in there.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some background on his motor that should have been included in the OP:
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/649874-Initial-testing-of-roeracing-710-camshaft
http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/649972-Final-testing-of-roeracing-710-cam-expectations-exceeded

Info on your codes:
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0309
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0304
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0300

Twister,
How many miles are on your motor?
When is the last time (mileage) the sparkplugs were changed?
What type of plugs are in the motor?
Are you certain that the AB wires "clicked" onto both the coilpack and plugs? Recheck each one.

Once you have eliminate plugs&wires as the possible culptit move you attention to the coilpacks. If your current cam/tune upgrade was causing the missfires then you would have noticed right off the bat since the installation. About how many miles have you put on the snake since the cam/tune upgrades untill the check engine light appeared?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
39k miles on motor
Plugs changed a year ago and then again yesrerday
Plugs are champion RC12ECC

Since the install the plug wires just kept coming off. She run like a beaste one day. Then id drive again the next day and shed run like crap. Id che k the plugs and sure enough a wire had disconnected again

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
interesting... my AB wires snap on very tightly to the plugs. much so that they are a PITA to get off.
Perhaps you are not getting them fully clicked on?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you had a plugged cat at one point recently. that can cause some issues.

leakdown test asap IMO

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
and stop running the holy toledo otta it on the dyno- they fuxx up engines

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id che k the plugs and sure enough a wire had disconnected again

interesting... my AB wires snap on very tightly to the plugs. much so that they are a PITA to get off.
Perhaps you are not getting them fully clicked on?

I also have AB's wires. Absolutely no issue with having them click on. You must be doing something wrong ? I put just a little dielectric grease on the inside of the boot before install. Mostly to make sure it can come off easier later on; but, maybe it helps to get it to push on correctly, also.

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sct tuner stated misfire in cylinder 4 and 9..

Had a leakdown test done and cylinder 4 was well in the green. Cylinder 9 was also in the green but not as in the middle as cylinder 4.

Cylinder 9 is on the drivers side were the white smoke is coming from the exhaust.

A check on the cylinder9 plug and wire revealed that the wire was not properly attatched inside the boot. So even though it seemed to be clicking on it was not actually firing.

Plug and wire number 4 came loose do to hot air being trapped inside and pushing off.

The white smoke was explained to me as cylinder wash from the number9 plug excessively not firing.

The number9 wire was attatched properly back into its boot and the car was given back to me. Two miles down the road I observed more white smoke and that the engine was makeing reduced power. A check with my sct revealed a misfire in cylinder9. Even though the codes had been cleared prior.

I will check the number 9 plug once the car kools down but can anyone give me any guidance

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cleared the codes and drove around some more

Now right back were I started. Misfire in 4 and 9 again acording to my sct. More white smoke..

The wires are just a year old and high quality Abs wires and just a week ago hit 556 rwhp on the dyno so I dont think theres anything wrong with them.

I changed all the plugs 2 days ago gapped at 35

Compression checked showed cylinder 4 and 9 within normal operating range.

WHATS THE FIRING ORDER? Is it when viewed directly from the front like this?

10......... 9
8............ 7
6............ 5
4............ 3
2............. 1
^^^^^^^^^
Front bumper.

Cylinder 9 and 4 share the same coil pack or any similarities?

Thanks for any help

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 & 9 are within normal range but are they in range with the other cylinders ?

what were the numbers for all cylinders ? we know you love numbers...lol

Atppilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reload your tune; you may have some computer anomaly. If it does not clear after reloading, I would lean toward plug wire or coil pack at
this point. Btw, 4 and 9 do not share same coil pack. 9 is the forward pack(drivers side rear) and 4 is rear pack(middle rear). You may want to swap injectors to see if issue follows as well. T

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks....

Im gonna pull the valve covers. The last two times my engine gave me problems it ended up being the arrow rockers (harland sharps)

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
4 & 9 are within normal range but are they in range with the other cylinders ?

what were the numbers for all cylinders ? we know you love numbers...lol

Just did a leak down of 4 and 9

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats what the shop did. Guess i need to buy my own compression checker and do them all

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
as thorough as you are about dyno numbers, id think yu would be the safe on leakdown tests.

leakdown > compression

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you can also do a quick hillbilly hydrocarbon test by sticking your nose in the overflow tank,and or radiater and see if you smell exhaust fumes(hydrocarbons)

OP
OP
T

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pulling the valve covers tomorrow. Suspecting a broken rocker/valve stem. If so I have one extra rocker.

Just hopeing the rings are ok

slysnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like an ongoing problem you have there Twister. Might want to return to OEM parts.

ssjcreeper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Twister, glad you got to the bottom of it. On a similar note - I was talking to Greg Good about a month ago about an upcoming build. On the subject of recommended rockers he noted to stay away from Harland Sharp. Hopefully that's the last of your issues.