**HELP**New Certificate SRT/10 in dealer lot. What should I pay?

Surly 1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey present SRT/10 owners, I was informed when I handed my certificate in that I would be getting this car at close to dealer invoice. As the prices were yet unknown at that time, I never had a buyers order completed for the new SRT. What is a "Fair" price to pay for this red SRT/10. I have heard that $100 - $500 over invoice is the going price for most VCA members and even received offers for that "after" I handed my certificate in.

I do not want to over pay for one of these cars, but feel the dealer who i've purchased from before would be even happier if I turned down delivery, thereby freeing up to car for sale at a premium price. Can they do this? If I refuse MSRP, can they just say Tough S*$t and send me packing? Any help would be appreciated!

SRTRICK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't say what I actually paid, but a well respected dealer offered to order the car for $1000.00 over invoice & another prominent dealer offered $2000.00 over. The best deal I personally found was $500.00 over from a dealer in the southeast.

BTW, if this ever comes up again, you don't need to know the actual $$$ of the invoice to strike a deal for X$ over invoice. That way you won't end up vulnerable to this type of pressure when the car arrives.

I do believe that the dealer could get away with charging you list price if you have nothing in writing.

Good luck in your negotiations!

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SRTRICK is right - there is no need to have an actual $$ amount. Invoice is invoice and you should pay $X over that.

Unfortunately, you are now at the mercy of the dealer and they have no obligation to treat you any differently than Joe Blow off the street - even though you are the only reason they got the car in the first place - it was YOUR certificate....

I hope they deal fairly with you - but don't count on it.

viper258

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been there...the exact same circumstances. They can charge whatever their conscience dreams up. I USED to buy pickups, Jeeps, another Viper, parts etc. from them. They took 4K from the sticker and gave me a gas ticket for Hess. I wish you the best of luck.

unclgreggy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you want an SRT10 at invoice call Bill Pemberton at woodhouse Dodge. I MET him on Sunday and had a car on Friday - which included 3 days to ship the car. Case closed.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please let us know how this turns out.

I reread this thread and I just don't understand how you can order a very expensive item, and not know what you are going to pay for it. It was mentioned that the buyer was told he'd get the car for close to invoice. Well, isn't the next logical question "How close?" The dealer was already using a baseline number - even if that exact number was as yet undefined, so why not say "Invoice + $X"?, or "MSRP - $X?" The certificate had an area that says amount of deposit, so DOdge was asking that a buyer's contract be signed - i.e. a contract to purchase drawn up - mostl ikely to avoid cases like this. Dealers advertise $100 over invoice or "thousands below invoice" all the time - so it's not like we are all unfamiliar with the term.

Maybe I am cynical, or maybe I am cheap, but I ALWAYS know what I am going to spend, and I don't leave open contracts on something as big as this. Heck Eldon has been painting my house, and I make him tell me where we are every time I give him money, or every time he suggests we do something a little over and above. No surprises.... I cannot imagine buying a car and leaving all this information to be filled in later, or trusting the dealer to do the right thing. Even though we've ordered cars with no money down, ther ewas ALWAYS a verbal agreement that we'd pay $X over invoice with the sales manager who's been there 25 years or the owner.....