2008 SRT-10 Coupe - 10 Second Quarter Mile Passes

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There's a lot of background leading up to these 10-second time slips that I won't get into here. I'm posting these to document that it happened even though it was over a year ago at this point. Full details will be covered in my next post.

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Steve M

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Event: Thursday Night Test & Tune
Date: April 21, 2022

Full mod list:

Power Mods: Metallic Substrate High Flow Cats; Gen 5 Intake Manifold; HPTuners custom tune (mine)
Supporting Mods: AEM 30-0300 Wideband O2 Sensor; DSE Heat Shield; DSE Closeout Panel; MCS Shocks; TDS Level 5 Axles; Ecliptech Shift Light; Parking Brake Cable Relocation Kit; Nth Moto Triple Carbon Clutch; Moroso Spark Plug Wires; Line Lock; Metal Throttle Bodies; Underdrive Pulley; StopTech 2-Piece Rotors; DSE Carbon Fiber Belly Pan
Tires: Hoosier DR2 (335/30-18), set to 24 psi hot mounted on Forgestar F14s (18x13 rear, 18x11 front)
Rear Gears: 3.55
Race Weight: ~3,524 lbs

Bottom line: full interior car with minor weight reduction, mild bolt-ons but still running the stock exhaust manifolds and stock mufflers, and upgraded drivetrain components (clutch + axles) to handle hot lapping on drag radials.

Weather conditions and estimated race weight:

Time slips (4 passes total that night):

Excel screen cap:

Dragy 0-60 times (average without 1ft rollout = 3.66 sec; average with 1ft rollout = 3.33 sec):

Dragy 60-130 times (average = 7.46 sec; best = 7.37 sec on run #4):

YouTube video of 10.86 pass:

YouTube video of 10.94 pass:

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Wow, that's getting with the program on a basically stock car. Impressive what some good tires and driving can do.

ninetyfive

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
Man, you had enough time to light up a smoke and still took that truck!

OP
OP
Steve M

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The gentleman that drove the Chevy truck was one of the track regulars - he was there every single time I managed to show up at a Thursday night test and tune.

He gave me many pointers over the years, and is who helped me work through the issues I was having when I switched from a Mickey Thompson drag radial to the Hoosiers I was on in that video. The Hoosiers required substantially more heat to get sticky - he noticed it right away when he was watching one of my burn outs. He suggested hitting them hard with a 2nd gear burnout until I could see the smoke in my side mirrors, and then hold that for a couple of seconds before rolling out of it. From that point on, I never had another issue spinning off the line.

He wasn't happy about losing that race, but he knew how long I had worked on getting a 10-second pass, and congratulated me anyway. Good people.

Goggles Pizano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone taught him and he taught you. Losing is losing but as long as no money was bet you move on to the next race and see if you can make your car better without major changes (i.e. $$$).

Stray Cat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is so cool and local too! Nice work on that car. And Nice driving for sure. I find that the Viper is one I cant get into hard without frightening myself! I am not a racer. Just love the driving experience.

John

OP
OP
Steve M

Steve M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is so cool and local too! Nice work on that car. And Nice driving for sure. I find that the Viper is one I cant get into hard without frightening myself! I am not a racer. Just love the driving experience.

John
Thanks!

One of the most common questions I received at the track was "does it have traction (or launch) control?" My snarky response was always "yeah, my right foot." I think it was generally understood that Vipers can be a handful, and most had respect for the fact that I was the biggest variable in my car's performance. There was also no shortage of back-handed compliments along the lines of "oh, it's a manual...I wondered why it wasn't running 10s". Everyone's an expert until it's their turn to step up to the plate.

Kil-Kare is the only place I've ever truly felt comfortable exploring the limits of my car's straight line acceleration. I won't even come close to it on the street...too many have ended up in a salvage yard that way. One of these years I should probably try auto-x or a high performance driving event, but I don't really have the desire to beat on the car anymore. Maybe that'll change, but for now, I'm taking a bit of a break with racing.

There are some other videos of my car out there...some better than others. This is one of the better ones from a guy that travels all over the country visiting different drag strips for his YouTube channel - he just so happened to capture a few of my races, including one vs. a McLaren MP4-12C:

And here's how my car fared against a stock Hellcat Durango:

It was pretty impressive for the land yacht it is, and they only get faster from there.

Last edited:

ninetyfive

VCA Member
VCA Member
Reaction score
I always wondered why people pull up next to me on the highway, honk three times and then they take off. They must really like the car as much as I do.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala