help... Viper questions..

vinman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
greetings to all on this thread.. I am looking at buying a used Viper GTS and see the prices don't change to drastically from 96 models through 2000 models. To a novice like myself, it looks like the cars are identical.. same engine same trans.. etc. can anyone tell me if there are any differences / updates made during those years ??

thanks

-vinman

luc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Vinman,

Tey were some small changes made during the years,as 18" wheels compared to 17",better cooling fans, better oil pan and a slighty changed interior but more importantly, except for red, if I am not mistaking,each color is year specific.

I think that most peoples first decide which color they like and consequently which year they want.

Luc.
2000 GTS, black with silver stripes.

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct in that there are minor differences in the GTS from the years '96 through '01, but the details are:

- Power Mirrors added in '99
- 18" wheels standard in '99
- Fan improved for '98 (you'll need to confirm the year on this upgrade, as I've been told two differenet things)

Color options is a very good point that luc indicated. I was looking for a black Viper without stripes exclusively and I also preferred the modern and clean look of the 18" wheels on the '99 and newer cars, thus I had already narrowed my search to the years '99 and '00 based on those two criteria.

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I may chime in , probably wrong though..

But..

1998 first year for "textured dash"
1999 Last year for forged pistons
1998 first year for factory "shorty" headers (wieght savings)
1998 and up, alarm bugs worked out and emergency alarm cut off in glove box
I"m sure there are many more...including ones above.

Gerald

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'96 only year stripes ran through license plate area.

new in '99 Rear window hatch release in cockpit.

Late '98 for fan. (can upgrade for about $150 '96 to early '98)

Cam changes almost every year (they tried to solve NGR)

Cast pistons new in '00 / '96 -'99 Forged. (only matters if you plan to add a lot of horsepower.

I might think of more later.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
If you are seriuos, spend $6.

Call 1-800-998-1110 and buy the "SPRING 2001" Issue of Viper Magazine. Most all the differences are correctly identified freom 1992-2001. $6 includes postage !

Also, a recent "How To Buy A USed Viper" was an article in Roan and Track, 3 issues back..........

Or......call me as noted below, and I'll 'splain it to ya !

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vinman, call me if you have any questions 847-981-9120. If you feed this fat man I might tell you more? Just kiding. BTW, my office is in Arlington Heights if you want to stop by.

OP
OP
V

vinman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the many responses to my post. I've ordered up the Spring 2001 Viper Magazine should get it in 1-2 weeks..

Forged vs cast pistons:
Can you still slap on a paxton if you have cast pistons? (I don't plan to use NOS as I've seen that go awry more than enough to scare me away!)

ALSO: *OT* Small world Steve... I grew up in Arlington Heights and was just at Harry's last Saturday night... MAN that town has grown!!!! I remember when there were no buildings higher than 3 stories...

Vinman

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are a lot of members in this area. We have a very active one in your Burb!

If you need help that's what we are here for!

Happy hunting.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VinMan,

I'm in your neck of the woods. If you want to see what the original GTS is like, just send me Email. One of the best ways to compare years is to come to Fudruckers in Schaumburg the first Wednesday of each month for our VCA meeting. If the weather is good you'll see 20 to 30 different vipers there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Axial32