HERE'S ONE FOR YOU CAR STEREO GUYS.... (PIONEER AVIC N2)

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HERE\'S ONE FOR YOU CAR STEREO GUYS.... (PIONEER AVIC N2)

I just picked up an N2 system on eBay. I got it pretty cheap because the seller stated he hadn't tested it. Does anyone know what power cable(s) I would need to test it in my house? I do have all the wiring for it (including the harness). Thanks!!

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: HERE\'S ONE FOR YOU CAR STEREO GUYS.... (PIONEER AVIC N2)

Just get a 12v power supply and hook it up to the leads on the wire harness.

I'm always a little suspect when someone says they haven't tested it. It usually means they've tested it and it doesn't work so they can't be liable.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

just use the post under the hood of your car, take the red and yellow lead from your Pioneer head unit to the pos and black to ground,

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

if you have a trickle charger for your car use that to test your radio, just make sure your trickle is on 12 volts.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I hear that setup is sweet...better than the N1...let us know how it works with the GPS...

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just picked up an N2 system on eBay. I got it pretty cheap because the seller stated he hadn't tested it. Does anyone know what power cable(s) I would need to test it in my house? I do have all the wiring for it (including the harness). Thanks!!

Be carefull on those units, alot of people who are buying them are trying to also disable the motion and e-brake feature so they can watch DVD's while driveing. Very easy to smoke the unit if you do it wrong.

OP
OP
J

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks for the tips guys. I do have a trickle charger with a 12 volt setting, so I just connect the black and red clamps to the matching cables right? am i missing something? Also, I am going to hook up the rear view camera. Any tips on where to place it? I'm thinking there won't be a good place to do it!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

I hear that setup is sweet...better than the N1...let us know how it works with the GPS...
Except the N2 uses the GPS rather than the e-brake lead (like the N1) to determine whether or not to disable the DVD player. :cool:

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score

You can download a pdf file of the installation manual from Pioneer's web site. The Pioneer support web page for the AVIC-N2 is http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/support/details/0,,2076_310070231_192089333,00.html You'll have to register (for free) to get access to the page.

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score

thanks for the tips guys. I do have a trickle charger with a 12 volt setting, so I just connect the black and red clamps to the matching cables right? am i missing something? Also, I am going to hook up the rear view camera. Any tips on where to place it? I'm thinking there won't be a good place to do it!

yes the black cable from the Pioneer goes to the black clamp, You have to connect the red and yellow wires together and put to the red clamp. Yellow is constant and red is switched. You can do a complete bench test before install to make sure everything works

pigcorn

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Did you ever get the N2 installed? Any pics? I almost purchased an Avic Z1 years ago but to install it in my car at the time required finding and splicing into the VSS wire and I got nervous that it was out of my league to install it.

Did you need to find the (VSS) speed senor wire for the Viper to install?

DrDJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

When an electronic unit on Ebay includes "not tested" in its description, it is as good as saying that it doesn't work. Factor in a repair bill if you purchase it. Sellers seem to think that this allows them to sell their junk for the price of a working unit. If I won an auction on such a unit, I would insist that it be tested before paying for it.

There is a speed sensor wire that goes to the stock radio.

DrDJ

prodiver

VCA Member
Reaction score

I installed one in my motor home about 6 months ago. Pretty straight forward install if you have the manual. Works great. I have a Clarion Auto PC in my Viper that I installed 2 years ago that works good also except that with the top off you can't hear the verbal directions. There is a lot of lead for the rear view camera and I don't know if you can cut it.

OP
OP
J

jpa99acr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

well i got it installed... works great... i bought the camera license plate holder and had that installrd also. i had an expert audio installer about 30 miles away do all the work. had it bypassed and also installed the v. command kit (coolness factor is awesome) i will take some pix and post here this weekend. I plan to buy a motor home soon and put th same setup in it.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How did he run the wires for the license plate camera? I couldn't get myself to drive holes in the car so I installed the one that replaces the key lock.