Hood Closing Problem

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys, I must have opened and closed my hood a hundred times so far, and I never had a problem. So today I am cleaning out the garage, and back her out, open the hood , and upon closure...I only get the right latch caught, and the left one isn't latched. Hood is kinda flexed then, so I push down to release the catch and try again, same result. What am I doing wrong? It happened twice today! I finally did get it closed, after the 3rd. try. Is there a problem?

Instead of pushing real hard from the beginning...I usually push down a few inches and then slam it shut. Always worked before.

Thanks, Dave :usa:

2kviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i had the exact same problem. i think it just gets caught on the driver side every so often.... once it jams, simply push down in the center and release the hood latch... usually pops open for me although it hasn't happened in quite some time. also, check to make sure the hoods not rubbing on your lights. you may need to adjust your latch level.

good luck!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The front stops are adjustable, take a look at that, too..

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Place a piece of paper over rubber stops and shut hood. Back down stops until paper call pull out with strong pull. Then they are just a little too low so adjust up 1/2 turn. Paper should not be able to pull out.

While you are doing this, ALWAYS check clearance between corner of hood and headlight. I've got 2 or 3 business card thickness clearance. If it gets too tight and the rubber stop still needs to adjust down, you'll need to move the latch up. Moving that is easy but mark it first so you know how far it moved.

1MEANSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prince Frederick Maryland, On the Chesapeake Bay
I was going to post almost this same post, the same problem i am having on the driver side latch. I noticed it after driving a bit and when i was coming back to the car the hood was lifted on that side. I tried to get the latch to catch but it didn't. I will try these things and let you guys know how it worked. Thanks!

OP
OP

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found out the "proper" way to close the hood, after a local dealer told me incorrectly. The "local dealer" told me to place my hands directly over the hood catches near the end of the hood front.(below the naca duct) That is wrong and bad to do because of the hood flexing near the end, and you can cause severe damage to the hood crushing it near the headlights.

The "Proper Way" to close it is to place your 2 hands(palms) at the top corners of the naca duct (where the hood is solid and will not flex)And slam it shut, it works every time!

So much for local dealers that are 15 min. away from me...this same dealer told me my 02 GTS takes 9 qts. oil.....duh

I will drive 2 + hours to see the WIZARD!!!!!!!

THANKS CHUCK!!!

Dave :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

FE92

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I found out the "proper" way to close the hood, after a local dealer told me incorrectly. The "local dealer" told me to place my hands directly over the hood catches near the end of the hood front.(below the naca duct) That is wrong and bad to do because of the hood flexing near the end, and you can cause severe damage to the hood crushing it near the headlights.

The "Proper Way" to close it is to place your 2 hands(palms) at the top corners of the naca duct (where the hood is solid and will not flex)And slam it shut, it works every time!

Tonight my son and I were having a hard time getting the hood to latch (last 3 or 4 inches). After lots of tries and frustration, I logged on and did a search for "hood latch". Five minutes later I found the above quote and had my answer and a fully closed hood.
Thanks to a great forum and fellow owners and their prior posts!! :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4