Hood Won't Stay Open

viper8298

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hood Won\'t Stay Open

My first question for you guys... The hood on my 97 GTS will not stay open. I thought if i replaced the lower hood springs, the problem would be gone. If the car is sitting level, everything is ok. But if its sitting in my driveway on a slant or even if the car is running the hood wont stay open.It seems to me that the springs were not built stout enough for this hood. Anybody else having this problem?? And any suggestions on how i might fix it?

Silver Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Hood Won\'t Stay Open

The springs are definitely not up to the job. There are four springs all together and I have had them all replaced. Now my hood stays open while in the garage, but I don't think anyone's hood will stay open if the car is on an incline. Also, my hood will come down if the engine is running. Too much lope in the cam I guess. :laugh:

As far as the fix goes...well, I think you are just going to have to replace all four springs and hope that you got some strong ones outta the batch. If I remember correctly, the dealership will replace the entire hinge assembly.

Good Luck
Mark
:)

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have seen this happen on a 1996 GTS hood that was repainted. They replaced the springs with new ones, however the extra weight of the paint and clear coat was still to heavy for the new springs.

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score

Might try a degreaser on the springs in the event that they were oiled in the past. Oil on the springs guarantees that the hood will NOT stay open.

Good Luck.

IEATVETS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A 2x4 works pretty well also!! :D Watch it on windy days, mine almost came down really hard the other day when it was windy here, but got to the car in time. Thank god.

Go Fast For Life

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Might try a degreaser on the springs in the event that they were oiled in the past. Oil on the springs guarantees that the hood will NOT stay open.

Good Luck.

After you degrease them, use white lithium grease on the springs. Never use oil.

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No way to tighten spring and springs are only available as a complete assembly, and they are different part numbers for each side.

Easy replacement without removing hood. Just remove the airbox, the two bolts that connect the spring assembly to the hood hinge bracket then the three bolts that connect each assembly to the frame. Total of 10 bolts, 5 on each side.

Helps to have a buddy hold up the hood while you're working as it's easy to lift the hood accidentally and loose the prop while you're under there. Note that the hood is still attached to the frame via the hood hinge. You are just removing the spring assembly from the hinge, not the hinge from the hood.

You'll notice a few spots where hoses rub sharp edges, like one of the oil cooler lines and the upper rad hose. I cut up some old hose to shield things.

Part numbers are 04709074 & 04709075, you'll need a 13mm wrench for all 10 bolts. They run about $80.00 each as I remember.

OP
OP
V

viper8298

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the reply's. Sounds like I just need to get everything off of them, then go back with some lithium.Guess if that doesn't work, then i could always go with the 2x4 idea!!! :ooo:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BW56