Horsepower

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heres a interesting question for all the racing guys. My heads and cam car makes around 500 Ft lbs of torque at 3500 RPM and 320 RWHP at the same RPM.
Gary A's Heffner car makes around 430Ft LBS of torque at the same RPM and 640 RWHP.

Now, eneryone says that its torque that moves you down the track so at that rpm is the heads and cam car going to jump out first until Garys car makes the same torque or will Garys HP pull him away?

Ive heard complaints that these centrifugal chargers dont make any power down low. PLease explain.

Torquemonster

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have Gary's hp and tq figures around the wrong way - it'll be making 640ft lbs at 3500rpm not 430. At 3500rpm it'll make 430rwhp.

Under 5252rpm, the torque will be higher than the hp, after 5252, the reverse.

Having said that - over a certain point - it all gets a little academic. If you stomp your foot in Gary's car in 1st gear at any speed, you'll have your hands full pulling the redline quicker than your brain can register it. You won't do that so easily with heads and cam.

who gets away first will be who can feather the throttle the best and who gets the holeshot and who has the stickiest tires. Both of you have too much power to use all of it from a standstill.

You may outdrive him, but you'll never outpower him - that boost is only a stomp away and rpms are instant with that much on tap. You'll need to go for a ride in a serious boosted car to appreciate that boost vs no boost is night and day.

Fishtail

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree, the boost comes in very quick but it all depends on how the system is built. I know the boost on my Level I will not come in as fast as a Level III. It depends on what you want the horsepower to be. Don't let anybody tell you centrifugal don't make low end power, I can barely make my tires hold with the baby system that I have :D . It's a big little monster :)

-Lou

GaryA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you have Gary's hp and tq figures around the wrong way - it'll be making 640ft lbs at 3500rpm not 430. At 3500rpm it'll make 430rwhp.

Under 5252rpm, the torque will be higher than the hp, after 5252, the reverse.

Having said that - over a certain point - it all gets a little academic. If you stomp your foot in Gary's car in 1st gear at any speed, you'll have your hands full pulling the redline quicker than your brain can register it. You won't do that so easily with heads and cam.

who gets away first will be who can feather the throttle the best and who gets the holeshot and who has the stickiest tires. Both of you have too much power to use all of it from a standstill.

You may outdrive him, but you'll never outpower him - that boost is only a stomp away and rpms are instant with that much on tap. You'll need to go for a ride in a serious boosted car to appreciate that boost vs no boost is night and day.

TM hit it right on the head and described exactly what it feels like to drive my beast.

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The centrifical on my Firebird has zero lag.....it may come in at 7 psi instead of 10 psi but it is instant.
Speaking of forced induction.......I have been laying low expecting a nine second s/c pass from some of you guys......promises, promises (Roof). You guys better step up before the lowly stock engine...non intercooled pos busts one off :laugh: (not enough smack going on here)

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
..I have been laying low expecting a nine second s/c pass from some of you guys......promises, promises (Roof). You guys better step up before the lowly stock engine...non intercooled pos busts one off :laugh: (not enough smack going on here)

I still stand by my statement that a ROE s/c car will be the 1st car to run a nine. Now Tony go hit the track with your pos GTS. :D

ps - you going to the smaller pulley?

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Now, eneryone says that its torque that moves you down the track"

You need to read this link. There is a good example of two cars, Vettes, with different tq/hp specs running at the drags. It's a good way to get HP and TQ straight in your mind.

http://vettenet.org/torquehp.html

MaxedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The centrifical on my Firebird has zero lag.....it may come in at 7 psi instead of 10 psi but it is instant.
Speaking of forced induction.......I have been laying low expecting a nine second s/c pass from some of you guys......promises, promises (Roof). You guys better step up before the lowly stock engine...non intercooled pos busts one off :laugh: (not enough smack going on here)
Im with you on the zero lag centrifugal.but the guys running the fastest right now are tuners and not there customers. U'r a good man but a tuner :cool: . i want to see more customers getting in on the action.
Max

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potterb4