How best to remove Duct Tape residue

Bad_Byte

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just curious what to use to avoid harming the clear coat.

Does anyone have suggestions of how best to remove the sticky stuff left behind when the tape is removed.

Yes I know, you wonder why I have duct tape residue. Its a long story.

Thanks in advance.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to your nearst autobody paint supply house and ask them for Dupont "prep-sol" or equal. This is a solution that preps the surface before you paint. I is great for removing tar, wax, oil , grease, and tape residue with out hurting the paint. Use common sense and do not do in direct sunlight and make sure to wipe off completly. Then you will have to wax the area again.

Reaction score
Art:
I know your long story of course. The NORC was a blast.

"Goof Off" is a good residue remover available at hardware stores (yellow can), and it works very good to remove road tar. WD-40 works too.

Silly as it seems, peanut butter removes tape residue - down side is the smell.

Good luck

onerareviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if this would work, but worth a shot. I do it to remove tar/bugs/etc..., and works great without effecting anything - even the wax/polish.

Extremely hot water mixed with car wash solution. Soak several large/thick white cotton towel in the solution, until saturated. Layer these wet towels across the effected area, and let sit for 30 minutes. Usually soften up bug/tar/etc.. enough so they just wipe right off.

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A detailing "clay bar" will take anything off the paint. This includes tape residue, sap, etc. It is non-abrasive but you have to keep it lubricated with soapy water. Works amazing. I prep my car before waxing with the clay bar. Since I use Zaino, I use their bar.

obaa996

Enthusiast
Reaction score
WD-40 is great for removing residue (do it in the shade, with the car; I don't know if it's bad when hot, but I'd rather not find out....), and doesn't harm anything. Use it all the time on my new bikes to remove stupid warning labels, as well as the stick-on wheel weights (you think
duct tape is gooey?) when mounting new tires. Bug 'n tar
remover will work also, but it seems you need a lot of waxing afterwards to get the area to gloss as well as the rest of the paint.
Prep-sol is pretty strong stuff; if you rub it too ******* single stage paint, you will see the paint color on the cloth you use. Probably wouldn't notice it with a base/clearcoat finish though...

brianflynn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Art:
I know your long story of course. The NORC was a blast.

"Goof Off" is a good residue remover available at hardware stores (yellow can), and it works very good to remove road tar. WD-40 works too.

Silly as it seems, peanut butter removes tape residue - down side is the smell.

Good luck
peanut butter works great on old decals and the dogs are willing to clean it off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456