How does everyone feel about prolong? (Sorry if stupid)

Jerry Horton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know how stupid of a question this is, but I'm going ahead anyway. Does this stuff really work, or is it a scam? Just curious.

Motor City Mad Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is that some kind of ****** enhancement cream or something?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There aren't any standardized tests to document aftermarket product performance, so you do have to rely on the marketer's integrity. Some, like STP, have been visited by the FTC years ago and have since way back then been exceedingly strict and honest. Other, newer marketers are being visited by the FTC now; Slick 50 was only a little while ago, I think DuraLube is having a turn. Search for the Better Business Bureau National Advertising Division page; this is where many of these disputes start - companies challenging each other's claims.

IMO, if the FTC hasn't visited ProLong yet, they will soon.

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I heard you have to watch out because some of the detergents in the oil additive may nutreulize the detergents in the oils. I wouldn't risk it. It's like the miracle cough syrup to me.

Tom and Vipers

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Duralube or one of those outfits had an intriging chemistry.

I can't remember the exact chemistry but what they were doing was taking long carbon chains (oil) and putting some group on the end that created some kind of bond with metals.

In theory, these oil molecules would adhere to a metal's surface like wiskers.

My friend, a Phd chemist, told me about it.

That's my 2 cents.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomatper is correct, the analogy is like ***** attached to an egg! But there are lots of chemistries that were developed for specific metallurgy - gear oils in particular. These additives are chlorinated (so your used oil becomes a hazardous waste instead of recycleable) and can actually *increase* wear because they tear at the surface layer of the metal parts in an engine. Hardened and treated gear teeth can take advantage of this chemistry, engines cannot. But since it makes for very impressive infomercials, there is unfortunately quite a bit sold.