How expensive is Viper Maintenance?

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Your post was a joke right? I actually had to wait 10 minutes before I could actually type this post because I was laughing so hard.

#1 If a Viper has "5 coils" I'd like to know where the other 3 are hiding?

#2 You don't need a "high output ohm meter" to check a plug wire off the car.

#3 You don't need a probe to see if a wire is firing. Pull the wire off when the motor is running. You'll either see the spark or feel it. I am sure those with manicured hands may be afraid to do this.

#3 A code 43 is engine missfire pal. No question about it. I know my Mopar codes all too well.

My question is did you pick up the 8.0 Liter Fuel Injection/Electronic Manual and start typing and added your own ridiculuos input such as "5 coils" LOL At first you impressed me with your post. As I got halfway through it I said to myself this guy is a ******. By the end I laughed MAO! Thanks for the chuckle. Practise what you preach!

Afy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
SovietSu27..
You wouldnt really happen to have a Flanker lying around?
Afy
You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
D

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank, I'm sure you are your own happy customer. It's easy to please yourself with your quality of work. I think it's great that there are people that can repair their own vehicles. That is why I respond to posts....to try to help the people that don't have the vast knowledge that you do. You shouldn't criticize me for the prices we charge (of which I have no control of) or the simple fact that I am a dealer technician. I've read previous posts where you just slam dealerships. I don't consider myself the average tech. because of my experience and work quality ethic. Most technicians also don't talk to the customers from start to finish. I set my appointments, greet customers, write up repair orders, do the work, close paper work and take in payments. Most tech's don't do that. From start to finish, my customers deal only with me.(if you can get a hold of me!)
Also, I will never claim to know everything about Vipers or cars in general. But I do have 14 years experience with Dodge, I have worked professionaly on drag cars, I've done a little round track stuff, worked at race engine machine shops, and have made hundreds of laps down drag strips. Oh yeh, and since I got into the Viper stuff, I've done a little road race prep. too. (Back to back Viper days national championship and best driver on this board, Paul Mumford) The road race stuff is new to me but I'm still learning. I've been nice about this because I try to be the professional that I am. I let my homies do the dirty work! I'd love to meet you in Columbus and see your car.dj

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FRANK:

#3 You don't need a probe to see if a wire is firing. Pull the wire off when the motor is running. You'll either see the spark or feel it. I am sure those with manicured hands may be afraid to do this.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

#1 I don't have manicured hands but I still don't think I'll test for spark 'by touch' anytime soon.

#2 You have two #3's on your list.

#3 If it wasn't for the smack this board might get dull.

JMHO

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

You need to take the coils apart if you want to act intelligent. You have 2 coil packs. One 3 coil module with 6 high tension outputs and a second 2 coil pack with 4 high tension outputs (i.e. 5 coils total). If you had half a brain you would know that when a given coil energizes it fires 2, yes 2, spark plugs simultaneously. That is the way all Chrysler DIS systems with that type of coil pack work. Given that you tell me how the code 43 would know 1 of the circuits was not working properly. Code 43 simply means the coil did reach the proper energy level during the dwell period. Nothing more and nothing less. I can direct you to the engineer that designed the Chrysler DIS system if you want to act smart and make an a** out of yourself.

And yes, if you want to check the true function of your wires you should use a high voltage ohm meter. A low voltage ohm meter will inform you of an open circuit but it will not tell you the voltage loss during operation. For most of us it is the loss of some voltage due to excessive resistance, and not the total lack of conductivity, that causes a high speed misfire.

And for you information I do not own the electrical manual for the Viper or other Chrysler product. But, in a past life, I did write portions of them.

Ron

OP
OP
D

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron, Yzerman couldn't have scored one like that. Ya' know, one of those top shelf wristers that sends the bottle flying. Everyone knows that momma hides the cookies on the top shelf. Excellent. Are you going to Columbus for the Mopar Nats.?dj

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David,

Thanks for the compliment. Hopefully Frank won't be too put off by the response. But, as they say, facts are facts.

No I won't be going to the Mopar Nationals. Maybe next year. Too many things to do and so little time to do them.

Thank, Ron

Kid97GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow, hey Ron, next time you are in California, give me a call - I've got a Chevelle with an annoying backfire problem (I think it's my Edelbrock Fuel Injection mapping) but I'd sure like you to take a look at it.
Actually, if you've got time, the light on my VCR keeps blinking too.....

Seriously though, you obviously know your stuff and I know who I'll be asking for info on anything electrical

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid,

I can make no claims regarding electrical systems. My area of expertise is engines. Since ignition and engine control systems are synonomous with engine function I have become learned from a functional perspective.

We have about beat Frank's comments to death and gotten off track regarding the subject of serviceability and service costs. Frank was correct when he indicated the Viper is easy to work on. It is relatively straight forward for people with NAFTA OEM experience. Plus, if you look close, you may find parts that have a different application (non-Viper) and thus lower replacement prices. There is another thread that identifies some of these common parts.

Ron - I do my own maintenance for the fun of it

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kid,

I can make no claims regarding electrical systems. My area of expertise is engines. Since ignition and engine control systems are synonomous with engine function I have become learned from a functional perspective.

We have about beat Frank's comments to death and gotten off track regarding the subject of serviceability and service costs. Frank was correct when he indicated the Viper is easy to work on. It is relatively straight forward for people with NAFTA OEM experience. Plus, if you look close, you may find parts that have a different application (non-Viper) and thus lower replacement prices. There is another thread that identifies some of these common parts.

Ron - I do my own maintenance for the fun of it

FRANK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can believe what you want to believe about beating my comments apart. My cars never go into any shop and never will. Keep up the good work beating it...

shawalka

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hehe, I just wanted to toss a note in here that this was just too funny. People shouldn't talk about what they don't know about. It's gotta hurt when you have to resort to stupid namecalling after being proven ignorant. I don't know a lot, but I don't chime in saying that I do, so I guess that's alright.
BTW, I change my own oil...granted its not a Viper, just a lowly Toyota, but I do enjoy it, and no it doesn't make me better than anyone else because I choose to do it.
&lt;---That guy is pretty cool...this time he is cheering on DJ and Ron....hehe

Kevin ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Frank,

I don't mind any of it, just loose the long signature line. It just takes up space and I although I think it is funny...it gets old and takes up too much space.

John Stuttle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man! I had to look those up! LOL
fo·ment (f-mnt)
tr.v. fo·ment·ed, fo·ment·ing, fo·ments
To promote the growth of; incite.
To treat (the skin, for example) by fomentation.

cur·mudg·eon (kr-mjn)
n.
An ill-tempered person full of resentment and stubborn notions.

Viablo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All ia can say is "Do we have a guy like Dave Jenkins in the Northeast near New York City?"

Keep it up Dave i appreciate your work and what you do i'm 3,000
miles away.

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Have to admit that I will feel very comfortable sending any of our California customers over to see the Honorable Mr. Jenkins. The price he is charging is emminently fair across the country, and from the horror stories we have heard of close to $200 for oil changes on a Viper, the $ 550 to change "ALL FLUIDS, " is very reasonable. I would also admit, with the large number of ex-Corvette owners who traded with us into a Viper, that the overall maintenance costs are very similar - their words!

OP
OP
D

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Bill, did anyone check out the latest issue of SoCal Viper review? We're doing a special for Viper Club Members. $69.00 oil change!! Up to 10 qts. of MOBIL ONE and a factory filter. Not a bad price! dj