how long do spark plug gap last before readjustment ?

USMCLY

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a 06 Coupe Paxton on stock pulley, catless, exhaust, and on stock split box on 93 gas.

My gap on the plugs seems to change extremely way too fast and causes my car to bog when i step on the gas.

NGK ZFR6F-11G Gap at 0.032 ( what Nineball was using in his setup)
This ran great until about 6000-7000 mi and it would Bog all over the place. I checked the Gap and it was 0.040. I had alot of highway runs and cruising with these plugs.

then i replaced them with OEM plugs gap the same at 0.032 and that lasted about 1000 miles before the bogging started. I forgot to check the gap on it. Mostly just cruising around and a little pushing motor to pass cars but no runs on it

NGK BKR7E 4644 Gap at 0.028 ( from tege on this forum)
That lasted 300 miles of mostly highway cruising in 2 days and about 4 highway with my friend before it started to bog. Checked the gap and it was at .035. I regap them back to .028 and am still on these.

Any idea why the gap changes way too fast? Or recommendation on spark plugs?

turbo.pwr

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm no expert but maybe its the electric arc that erodes the centre electrode thus widening the gap. The ground electrode material could also be different between those three plugs, and react differently to the conditions within your particular engine. Which is perhaps why you've seen ones last longer than others.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960