How many are left?

46hemi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As everyone can see, totalling a Viper is not that hard to do (especially these days!). I am wondering how many have been wrecked thus far? I know that Carfax can tell you if a car has been insurance totalled by the VIN but can you search by Make and Model? I realize that a certain percentage will not be tracked as totalled but I would think the number is pretty high. I tried the search key but couldnt come up with an answer. Maybe there just isn't one?

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
I have personally Logged over 100 (my file is at work so I don't have the exact figure) in the past year. Another member just emailed me a salvage yard list of an additional 17. I think it would be a safe bet that the true number is close to 1000 (and that would be a conservative guess considering how many wrecks go unreported.) The number is significantly biased towards GTSs who seem to be constant victims of race track collisions.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you accept the 12% figure that has been thrown around it would be more like 2000 totalled in total. Seems high but exactly as you said it doesn't take much to total a Viper.

In the past few months I have been looking for a totalled 2000+ GTS to trade some parts and have had more than a couple new totals to look at. One went through a barb wire fence doing only body panel damage. Another through an office door with no frame damage and only minor suspension damage.

These cars are totalled from a repair cost standpoint but not from a safety perspective. They are even fine for street use and show if panels are replaced.

It's a shame that some of these cars have "Salvage" titles when all that really happened is they were severely scratched.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
NCVCA, Where do you find totaled Vipers? I'm in Michigan and am looking for a few extra parts and am clueless where to start. Thx

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
95viper - Trust me, stick with JonB and the other listed vendors here. Or check with your local VCA - I know of a club (and I WILL NOT mention which one) that just hit a gold mine but will not clue in non-members. One of the very few perks of being a cardcarrying member I suppose.

NCVCA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started by calling Jon Brobst at Partsrack. www.partsrack.com. I think he has a black 01 available now. Needs some frame work, but buying wrecked Vipers is not something you want to do sight unseen or without the help of someone like Jon.

I just got back from Atlanta last night swapping a body (viper body - don't go there) and the shop had another Viper bought on eBay from Florida with "minor front end damage". He's $10,000 above full retail on the car now with purcahse price and repairs and it's not even close to being done.

Call Jon though he probably knows of others.

Jeff

ceieio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The "barb wire specials" would make good sense as a track car to me. Why gut and hack up a clean road car? If you trade a little paint here and there it won't hurt as bad emotionally.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte