How many Viper collectors are out there?

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I see auctions like this go for more $$ than I would of thought, I have to believe that there are a lot more Viper diecast collectors out there than just Viper owning nuts like me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

Anyone have any idea how big (or small) Viper collecting is in the general diecast community? There has to be a lot more than just owners. When I see runs like the 2006 Ertl NFL series all done in Vipers, it makes me believe that there are a lot of Viper collectors out there. How big is it?

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Viper collecting community is BIG! For some people, a model car is as close to owning a Viper as they can get. I started collecting in 92' and didnt buy my real Viper until 2005. Most Viper owners collect atleast some model Vipers, even if they werent collectors before they bought their real Viper.

ViperArry

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same here....
But I'm still collecting. Thats is far as it gets for now.
And I'm collecting since 1994.

As long as the Viper keeps this Superperformance Car as it is it will be collected.
They (Dodge and the scale model manufacturers) just have to keep making them!

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
The first time I saw a picture of a viper in 89-90 I started collecting....back then pretty well all that there was...was the odd mention in print ...magazines.....I saw my first REAL viper at the Toronto Int'l Auto Show in 1992....It was at that show that I placed my first order......(originally the order was for a '93 but there was a screw-up with the hoods)...so it was a '94 that I took delivery of in Nov 1994.....
I'm still collecting just as passionately today!!

viperguy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are more of us than what appear on this forum. Not sure if I can link to another forum or not where we chat, most about diecast collecting as opposed to 1:1 Viper stuff, we don't have the $$ like Maureen to buy 3, maybe 4 now Viper cars...lol...

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if I'm a collector or a gatherer..... bought everthing Viper in triplicate unil I ran out of room!

Then I made the hard decision to stick with only Matchbox's, HotWheels.... and VOI centerpieces ;) Gradually selling off many of my earlier 1/18th scale purchases to make room.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't know if you'd consider me a collector, but I was trying to figure a way to get the large VOI 9 prop (the 20' emblem that hung above the stage) out the door. Along with the "Welcome to VOI 9" banner, the Viper Parking Only signs and ANYTHING else that had a Viper logo on it. I collect mostly 1:18th scale Mopar Muscle, but my Viper collection grows a little more each week.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started collecting diecast about 4 yrs ago, I have friends who have probably 200+diecast and are very serious about it. I only have around 50 or so, and only 3 Vipers:(...need to get MORE! just found a grey GTS and a b/w the other night, can't wait to get them!

santo

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The first two 1:18 scale Vipers I bought were of an RT/10 and a GTS. They were purchased solely for the purpose of helping me decide which 1:1 model I wanted. I have since bought a 1:18 yellow RT/10 to match the big one ;) I'm on the look out for an inexpensive 1:12 yellow RT/10 model if it should ever come up and then I'm done.

I'm not a collector but I've still purchased a couple. I think you will find a lot of people in this category.

Santo

OP
OP
R

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess my original thought on this thread was that there must be a lot more collectors out there than people who own (or will own) a Viper. As an example, you might see a specially packaged matchox model that is "limited" to 25,000 units. That's more than the total production of the Viper.

Obviously, the average diecast collector can't collect everything. Just too much product out there. It would appear to me that there is a significant segment of that crowd that specifically looks for Vipers even though they have no plans to own the real thing. Just curious. I have a ton of diecast Vipers mostly because I own the real thing and because I am a collector at heart. :cool:

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got the actual car 1st (95) then started collecting the die-casts. I've slowed down b/c I'm running out of room!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang