How Much Horsepower???

2BADD 4U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking at a 97 GTS with the following mods, and would like to know the approx. RWHP. K+N Filters, CSD Smooth Tubes, Borla headers and cat back, Lightweight flywheel, and 3:54 gears.

Thanks,Dave

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Freddie,

I understand your point, but I believe you have it backwards on your post. You will see LESS torque transfer to the rear wheels at a given rpm with a lighter flywheel. This is because the weight of the rotating mass of the flywheel lends itself to the transfer of torque. Im not an engineer, but having owned over 50 race cars and trying every drivetrain application imaginable, I can guarantee you that a lighter flywheel will not accelerate a vehicle of the vipers mass any quicker.

You will notice quicker revvs with a lighter flywheel, but at a sacrafice of torque transfer.

Keep in mind that the engine is just an air pump. The above vehicle has known modifications that increase its airpumps efficency.(although there are better choices for intake and exhaust mods, the mods stated should produce approx. 440 rwhp at about 470-480 ft/lbs of torque, and the poster can probably search the archives for similiarly modded cars and their power output)

Please, I say again, PLEASE, no flames. The topic of flywheels has been discussed many times in the past, the above is my opinion based upon years of trial and error and experimenting.

About gears.......ooops, Im not saying anything about gears!

Take care,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com