How to measure breakpad thickness...

xSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I own a 2000 GTS, and am having a dispute on measuring the thickness of my break pads. Can someone tell me, going by this picture, which place they should be measuring from?
1. Green, the entire pad.
2. Blue, from the material to the end of the pad.
3. Red, from the beginning of the grove to the end of the pad.

Also, if you know the minimum thickness recommended that would be helpful as well.

You must be registered for see images

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a specific number? Like 1/8, 5/16, etc.? I don't think it really matters. If your close to wearing flush with the groove then replace them. If there is no groove then you've waited too long.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Red = best practive usable pad
Blue = overall pad thickness, but keep in mind, the binder material is mixed in there, so when you get to that thickness, the pads were fast and hot
Green/Yellow = no need to measure this unless you are trying to see if an "off brand" pad will fit in your caliper.

Different pads are different thicknesses, with different slot depths, too......

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he was asking what the nominal description should reference, not when he should change his pads. You know, if you were going to try an off-brand mail order brand & had to spec a pad thickness......which dim would you use?

Specs guys, not guidance.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think he was asking what the nominal description should reference, not when he should change his pads. You know, if you were going to try an off-brand mail order brand & had to spec a pad thickness......which dim would you use?

Which is why I answered like I did - overall thickness = pad material + backing plate is your critical dimension....

Stephen Yap

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That means green. And minimum is anything less than that but with still enough pad material though I don't know why you would get a 'minimized' brake pad.

Big Medicine

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Which is why I answered like I did - overall thickness = pad material + backing plate is your critical dimension....

I still don't see a dimension (dim). If expressed in millimeters, I can convert to any otherm metric unit or convert it to standard units.

Clarification post, #2.

OP
OP
X

xSaleen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, Richard at Neighborhood Dodge in Irvine, was nice enough to fax me this. It shows the measurements for the lining and for the entire lining and plate backing.

You must be registered for see images