I Found My Viper (with lots of help from the VCA)

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been searching and searching for a Viper over the last few weeks, put offers on a few and looked and many. Anyone that has bought a preowned viper knows what kind of things you can go through during this process. Well finally I found one that seemed perfect for me. The only prblem was that it was in Nowhere, California 90226. I had no way, short of flying to sacramento and driving 4 hrs to get there, to find out about the car. I was not willing to do that. I had even offered monetary compensation for a member of the board who may live in the area to go for me. I figured I really had one choice when that failed, called up magoos.net who I had used before and got very good info from their group of inspectors. They were out the next day and I got a pretty good report back from them and actually talked to the inspector who was very impressed by the car. The report is thorough, but not viper specific so I was still a wee bit concerned about pulling the trigger on this car. However I didn’t think I had much choice as this place is about 4.5 hrs north of sacramento and in the hills of nowhere. So I sent the head of the NorCalVCA and email telling him the situation and that if there was anyone in the area that I would be willing to pay them travel expenses plus $300 to go and check it out for me. Well needless to say I got an email back saying that the place is in the middle of nowhere and that there was only one member who was from anywhere near there and he hadn’t really been involved with the club for a while. So I sent an email anyways informing him (Steve) of my situation and asking for help. MUCH to my surprise I get a call a day later (voicemail) from Steve asking more details about the location and how soon I needed the information. Im already in shock that there is another viper person in this neck of the woods and that they are actually going to help me.

Over the next couple of days I get to talk to Steve about his viper which he is going to upgrade with a heads and cam job. One he hasn’t tracked but plans to when he gets it ready. A car he obviously loves very much. I was easy to tell that I would be blessed to have someone like this to look at a car for me because he is very detailed in every conversation he has about the car. He tells me that the town where the car is located is about 30 miles north of him and proceeds to tell me that he pretty much knows of all the vipers in the area but has yet to hear of this particular one. He gives me all the dealer numbers in the area and also tells me he heard of one that had 30k worth of damage done to it a while back but didn’t know who’s it was, gave me the number to the body shop and who to talk to in order to find out. Did my research and found out this was not the car. He tells me he and his family are going out of town for the weekend (road trip in the norcal mountains) but that he would detour and take the time to check out the car for me. He asked me what I wanted out of the car what I was looking for in the car and every area I wanted him to pay special attention to. I am still in awe at this point that this could happen.

Well on this past Saturday Steve went to check out the car. I forgot to mention that they were taking a 3 hr trip and that he works nights from 6 p.m. to 7 a.m and he left straight from work on his trip and stopped to check out the car for me after working all those hrs. So after all this he is laying on the ground checking the undercarriage of a car that’s not on a lift told me that there was only one flaw in the paint , on the stripe on the passenger side under the front fascia, that it looked like the paint had been touched up, but you had to lay on your back to see it. I still couldn’t not believe the detail I was getting from someone who had just worked 13hrs and taken time from his family vacations to help someone. It’s awesome to know that there are still people who will go out of their way to lend a helping hand. And after all this refused to allow me to give him anything although I would like to find his address and send him some PS2’s (tires) so if anyone can help me out send a p.m. because I don’t want to give out any of his info.

Needless to say after he looked at it he told me exactly what I needed to hear and I’m getting the car but even more importantly I have found a new and good friend. Thanks VCA!!!!!!

Pics coming soon!

JUCD VPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thats Awesome. I'm glad you finally found the car you were looking for. Thats what i love about this group, everyone is very helpfull, always going out of their way in some way to help another member out.

my viper

enthusiast
Reaction score
Congratulations :2tu:

There are some very good people here on this board.

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Give us the details of the car.

Yeah, but keep it brief! :eek:

LOL I am hardly ever long winded but there were so many details of this story that I had to tell, for effect you know.

But anyways its a 98' GTS with 15,700 miles.

TUNABLE PENSKI SUSPENSION (the best one)
VENZANO SEATS WITH SNAKE HEADS
BORLA EXHUAST TO REAR
HALF CATS
ROLLER ROCKERS
ALUMINUM FLY WHEEL
BAFFLED OIL PAN
K&N FILTERS
BRAKE DUCT COOLING KIT
HIGH FLOW ELDEBROCK HEADERS
3.54 RING AND PINION
RATIO BOX ON SPEEDO
B&M COMPETITION SHORT THROW SHIFTER
FULL TINTED WINDOWS
SMOOTH TUBES
OVER SIZE THROTTLE BODIES

It's been fully painted in the black/silver GTS colors because he preffered the color over the red it was originally.

Other than that it's stock :p

OP
OP
B

bluestreak

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My deal is not finalized yet as the buyer had family tragedy and is out of town until thursday. I am just waiting for him to call me which he told me would be on thursday and the car will be on the way soon after.