I have just about had it with the keyless entry

AJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
argh.. i made a fool out of myself again last night. for a 3rd time.

this is what happens:

1. i lock the car with the remote (beep)
2. i come back later (the alarm is undisturbed or at least seems so)
3. cannot unlock the car
4. go through the trunk, open the car, alarm goes off, insert key you know where, alarm stops.
5. press both buttons on remote, alarm beeps in 5-10 sec.
6. everything works

until the next time

am i missing something? happens with both remotes so i dont think the remote batteries are at fault

alex
02 gts
few other cars

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the fob doesn't unlock the car then stand in front of the car, point the fob to it and hold down both buttons for 10 to 20 seconds. The car will honk when it resets.

Let us know if this fixes it.

No need to stand on your head naked like some will suggest. It never worked for me.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">If your problem is caused by RF interference (always has poor or no range in the same areas, while other areas it works fine) then the issue resolvable by repositioning the receiving antenna.

All Gen I's have antennas internal to the SAM module. 1996 GTS's also have an internal antenna in their EEM, but if the EEM TSB upgrade was performed, an external antenna was taped under the console as part of the upgrade. 1997's have the under console antenna and 1998 on up have external antennas but they are embedded in the instrument panel wiring harness.

If you have the under console antenna, you're in luck (2002's don't). You can remove one screw from the driver side of the console, (by your right hip if you're sitting in the seat) and gently pull the antenna out from underneath. You can easily find the antenna wire if you look under the dash at the EEM (above the gas pedal mounted on the side of the trans tunnel). The antenna is the thickest black wire there. It's thin gauge coax. If you pull this out, you'll find about 32 inches of coax with a 13 or so inch unshielded antenna at the end. If you take the coax, run it up to the drivers "A" pillar, then flat coil the unshielded section only into the top of a 35MM film canister and wedge it down between the windshield and the dash, you have:

200 foot range in non RF interference conditions (versus the stock 23 feet)
2 ~ 3 foot range in severe RF conditions (versus zero)
You must be registered for see images

The advantage of this antenna layout is the you can almost directly connect the FOB with the EEM by placing the FOB's antenna (which is from the 9 to 12 o'clock position looking at the FOB face) on the windshield directly over the coil. This tends to overpower ambient RF and flood the EEM with your FOB signal. In the normal straight antenna layout, you can not get the weak FOB transmitter close enough to over power the ambient interference.

Since I don't have a GENI I can't provide much help on how to attach an antenna to the SAM module. On 1998+ models, I do have instructions on how to open the EEM connector to add an antenna, but since I don't have one, I can't verify how accurate they are. Either way, at least you have a start on a possible solution.

I also have an EE looking at a EEM for possible modification to filter out any frequency but 315 Mhz, which is the FOB frequency. I suspect the EEM is not discriminating enough to work in many RF flooded environments. Strange since my garden variety minivan has no problem anywhere, but my exotic sports car can't even lock it's doors at Wal-Mart! </FONT f>

motor602

Enthusiast
Reaction score
HEY AJ,
This also happens to me sometimes, and i also had to make a fool out of myself a few times. However i did notice that if you try to open the door first, just one time, and then try to unlock it with the remote, it will work fine. Maybe you just need to "wake up" the system

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">Another thing to remember is the only 1998+ Vipers have the keyed alarm reset.

1997 on back Vipers owners are SOL if the alarm is set and the FOB won't disarm.</FONT f>

CMG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm was happy to hear motor602 has the same glitch. When mine fails to work, I touch the passenger's side door button and, presto, instant fix. It will not if you touch the driver's side door button. I had chalked it up to another senior moment.

Ron, you're up to speed on this system. any thoughts.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">CMG;

Looking at the system wiring, there is no logic reason why the passenger door switch should "wake up" the EEM. The only explanation I could give is that perhaps there is a software bug that the passenger switch snaps the EEM out of so it can react normally.

In my case, I don't think it would work as the antenna fix I mention above solved my problem. If it was a software issue, the antenna change would have had no effect.

There were 4 or 5 software versions in the 1996 ~ 2002 EEM's so perhaps your solution works in all models with your version of code. No way for me to test.</FONT f>