I lost to a Camaro SS!

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Camaro is a 2000 SS with a LS2 motor with a huge cam, and heads, but all motor. He has run a 10.8@130mph in the 1/4. We have equal h.p.
The 1st run I jumped the gun and won. The 2nd race he jumped the gun and won. The 3rd race was a dead even start. We ran from 60mph-150mph. At 150mph he got me by 3/4 car length. Very close race, just I was the one that came up short.
Time to mod the Viper more!

ViperJohn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There will always be somebody faster than you out there, period. Next time your race him, throw a turn or two into the mix and you will definitely win.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It would have been interesting to see what would happen if you took it past 150mph to like 190-200. I would think he would run out of gear. With your sixth gear and low rear end ratio you would have kept pulling.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Something does not add up, an LS2 even fully built with the best internals/porting/427cu+/etc is not going to see more than 600rwhp and even that would be pushing it.

Your car with a blower on it should make that with a base kit, unless you have something like a ROE unit installed by Heffner. But if you have a true Heffner kit you probably make much more power than that.

So either the guy in the camaro is lying, and is most likely using a unit on top of that motor. Or there is something wrong with your car/driver.

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Actually my car has 545rwhp. It is a Heffner NOVI2000 kit, but that's it. I still have the cast pistons, not the forged in 99 and older. Jason recommended not turning up the boost until I change the pistons. The Camaro has about the same hp. It's a 402ci with a roller cam. Regardless what he has done, he has the same hp I do and has driven it to a 10.8@130mph. Thats pretty quick by any standards.
GTSnake, I would have definitely won in the higher speeds, but I figured by 150mph the race really was lost. Awesome time though.
ViperJohn, turns would be out of the question for the Camaro because he has no front sway bar. And the suspension is completely set up for drag racing.
Now for new pistons and fuel system!

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt realize Heffner also did just bolt on systems.

Just get an AEM unit exhaust with no cats, roller rockers, and a smaller pulley. Get that thing to at least 700rwhp, with concervative timing and a very rich tune, say 10.9:1. Your factory pistons will be fine even the cast ones.

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot it also has roller rockers. They were in it when I bought it. Does taking out the cats make a difference?

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take courage. Your corner carving street car just kept up with a purpose-built drag car. I'd say 3/4 length is a fair trade unless you race a lot.

What other mods does your car have? Any headers, high-flow cats or catback? If not, opening up the exhaust might help your engine evacuate more of that positive manifold pressure to good effect. But the more cost-effective mod is definitely the pulley.

If you ever consider replacing the pistons, you can replace the cam at the same time with something pretty mild that will make better use of the supercharger. Cams are pretty much the best power-per-dollar mod I've made use of. Blowers and turbos compare, but at greater cost.

Another quick solution open to you would be a nitrous express kit and a nitrous mastermind. Or maybe a BTR kit. Consult the gurus as to what would be an appropriate shot given your setup. Just think, extra oxygen AND a colder air charge with the boost. You'd be quite a bit more than 3/4 lengths ahead...

Go forth and leave that LS2 in a puddle of its own oil! :usa:

418viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had a camaro once. In high school.
No question they can be fast just with bolt ons.

1971 Z28 -sold

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He doesn't brake or corner very well. A friend of mine was in his car with him for the race and said it was scary. Everytime he hit the brakes he had major pulsating, and from my car I could see smoke come out of his wheels. He also doesn't have a front sway bar on the car anymore. Thats o.k. though, I'll just do a little motor work now and it won't matter either way. Next year it'll still be good though, he's going s/c next yeaar also.

OP
OP
L

Landman

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I agree. He almost has his car done now. He's putting on a Procharger F1A. He said he's aiming for 800rwhp. I better get going with my motor work!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21