I think my GTS is cursed!

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
About 2 months ago my car started to run hot. I replaced the radiator, thermostat and water pump. After a while, I noticed a little coolant pooling just in front of the thermostat housing. ordered gaskets to fix that and go on with life. Still waiting for parts,I was driving into town and had a run-in with a piece of blown-out truck tire which damaged my front fascia. While I had it up on the lift temporarily patching it together till I can order a new one, I noticed coolant running out of the HVAC box under the hood. Checked in the pass. footwell, and sure enough---a drip on the bottom of the heater box. I can push on the foam around where the hoses go to the core on the top of the HVAC box under the hood and it appears to be completely full of coolant. :omg:WHAT NEXT?????

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had the coolant been replaced at a regular interval?

Just think of this problem as a good opportunity to renew your cooling system...

OP
OP
A

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
When I bought the car, the coolant looked new and tested good. Not much else to renew since I have already replaced the thermostat, water pump, radiator and some of the hoses.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear your news, it ***** when one problem runs into another, I'm sure you will get it sorted :)

So how bad was the tire damage to the front end?

LifeIsGood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I replaced the water control valve and the attached hoses when mine was leaking...

You must be registered for see images

Cost was about $120 total...

Water control valve - 04642554 - $57.40
Water valve to heater core hose - 04642555 - $12.30
Heater core to engine hose - 04763975-AC - $28.29
Engine to water valve hose - 04763974-AD - $17.95

...also replaced the hose clamps with worm screws.

OP
OP
A

AJ02

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

It doesn't look that bad in the pic, but the scratches are too deep to sand out and repaint, I think. You also can see where I had to cut off about 1/2" from the bottom lip (it was shredded) and epoxy the remaining piece back in place. Looks like hell!

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fascia spork = fashion fail. Don't do it!
Sorry Dave but you hardly see the things, my nose would be just like that if I had not put one on the car! Not sure if your roads in Texas are cambered but here in the UK our roads are a nightmare! getting in and out of petrol stations, speed bumps etc
If I'm pulling out of a side turning onto a main road, many times I have to turn left even though I wanted to go right,( if I tried to go right the nose of the car would just plough into the tarmac surface!) So I drive down the road until I find a safe place to turn around. I guess its ok if you live in a flat area?

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Biggest problem on Texas highways is the presence of "Alligators" (Truck Tire retread debris). It is everywhere. One of the things I miss about German highways and German auto/highway regulations - Trucks cannot run retread tires. Most stupid concept ever. Supposedly it is cheaper than putting new tires on the Trailers hauled by 18 Wheelers. I think some university sometime back did a project on this and proved them wrong. Anyway, our roadways in Texas are covered with this stuff, which is why I try as best possible, to never drive the Snake in the dark.

Sorry to hear about your Fascia. My lower fascia is evenly cracked on each far side from "Alligators". Nuff said.

daveg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry Dave but you hardly see the things, my nose would be just like that if I had not put one on the car! Not sure if your roads in Texas are cambered but here in the UK our roads are a nightmare! getting in and out of petrol stations, speed bumps etc
If I'm pulling out of a side turning onto a main road, many times I have to turn left even though I wanted to go right,( if I tried to go right the nose of the car would just plough into the tarmac surface!) So I drive down the road until I find a safe place to turn around. I guess its ok if you live in a flat area?
Here in the North East, I run one as well. our roads **** and swear by the guard!!

PS, mine is painted the same as the body and stripe color (B/w). Cant even notice it....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang