i want to buy an SRT and i have some questions.

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hi, im in the market for a gen3 and have been looking at the 2003 and 2004 srt's (they fit my price range) in black. is there anything i should look for? also what are the differences if any between the different years of the gen3s?

i have a gen2 gts and i know the differences they have eg. forged pistons, lack of abs, adding abs, cast pistons etc. the gen 3s are new to me and i could use some help.

do the gen3's have changes like this too? or are all the years pretty much the same

also i found a 2004 srt black on black with 10kmiles for 50k. is this a good price?

thanks

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
2004 and newer will have red brake calipers, and come with trunk carpet kits. 2003 had a few recalls/tsb's

it's been hypothesized :) that the '03's and '04's make more power than the newer gen III's

ROCKET62

Has Left the Room!
Reaction score
Just as an FYI, from the alley - there was a black mamba with 8k miles @ Freeway Chevy in Chandler. They were asking 52 and dropped to 48k. Not sure if they still have it or not as the post was a couple of weeks old.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
2004 and newer will have red brake calipers, and come with trunk carpet kits. 2003 had a few recalls/tsb's

it's been hypothesized :) that the '03's and '04's make more power than the newer gen III's

awesome thanks. seems that 04 sounds good for me then. i wish i could afford an 06 blue and white but when i looked they were near 70k. oh well

Just as an FYI, from the alley - there was a black mamba with 8k miles @ Freeway Chevy in Chandler. They were asking 52 and dropped to 48k. Not sure if they still have it or not as the post was a couple of weeks old.

thanks, i will check on it tomorrow. the car i posted is only 40miles away so its easier for me to look at it compared to going to az. its also a private seller so hopfully he will mark down the price to help me on taxes. either way i will still check them out still

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That seems like a good price, not far off from what I paid for mine back in August that had 2800 miles on it. I would say between 50 to 52 would be a good range for that year with that amount of miles. Good luck man and keep us posted.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I believe 04's have the added bonus of carrying the 7/70 powertrain warranty as well.

Fast Too

Enthusiast
Reaction score
03 rods are Drop Forged Cracked Cap, and 04 and later are Powdered Metal Cracked Cap. Bottom line is 03 rods are stongest in the Gen 3's

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some 03 did have red calipers

10539PICT0009.JPG

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
03 and 04 came with factory 7/70 powertrain warranty
04's possible cam bolt torque problem is built prior to 01/31/04
04's had a different oil pressure and temp gauge
05's had a different factory head unit
05's and up have a slightly diff. valve cover. vent tubes at the front
04's and up came with trunk mat
03's and 04's factory oil fill is 10w-30 while 05's and up 0w-40
no special editions made in 03
2003 have different connecting rod then 04's. they are forged in the 03's and PM in 04. Crank balance is also different
05's have different PCM
crank trigger location moved from the flywheel in 03/04 to side of block in 95.
05's up changed the damper bolt to 3/4" vs the smaller 13mm in 03's and up.
Main bearings changed in 05 to 180 degree mains from 120 in order to address oil starvation issues at rods. this is the reason for the lower oil pressure at idle for the 05 cars
04's up have red calipers
timing cover changed in 05 to incorporate a wire holder for the cam sensor. old covers used a bolt on clip.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had my o4 in last week and they said 3/36 on powertrain. Was this in option to buy and if so can I still buy it under my 3/36?

I strongly suggest you find another dealership. They apparently cannot read and know little about the products they are required to service.

OP
OP
L

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
hey guys i had a question about the 7/70k warranty. do all 03/04's come with it standard? or was it an extra feature that had to be bought at the time the person bought the car?

im looking for cars and i see some ads where people advertise they have it and some ads dont mention it, i called a few that didnt have it mentioned in their ad and they didnt really know if they had it or not.

also if it was an extra cost, is there a way i can check to see if the car has it by running the vin?

a little more info on this for me would be great. thanks in advance

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Standard but not offered on 2005+. When you find the car you want you can call a Dodge dealer and have them run the VIN # to find out how much time is left on each warranty.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys i had a question about the 7/70k warranty. do all 03/04's come with it standard? or was it an extra feature that had to be bought at the time the person bought the car?

im looking for cars and i see some ads where people advertise they have it and some ads dont mention it, i called a few that didnt have it mentioned in their ad and they didnt really know if they had it or not.

also if it was an extra cost, is there a way i can check to see if the car has it by running the vin?

My 2004 did not have the original 7/70k warranty, bought the car used and had only 2800 miles. I had to purchase the warranty separately. You can go here Chrysler Service Contracts but you have to know the VIN and the last name that it is under, and will show the details if it is covered under warranty. For further questions you can call them at 1-800-521-9922. Hope this helps

viperjim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They just replaced my water pump under warranty on my 2003. They indicated that I had a few years left on the powertrain warranty. Only had to pay a $100 deductible.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are the more specifics of the 7/70k Warranty
Deductible Per Repair :
$100.00
Towing Coverage :
$100 Roadside Assist
Rental Car Allowance : $35.00 per day for a maximum of $175.00

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

3/36 bumper to bumper and 7/70 powertrain came standard on all 03's and 04's - period. The window sticker and warranty information booklet will indicate this.

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
3/36 bumper to bumper and 7/70 powertrain came standard on all 03's and 04's - period. The window sticker and warranty information booklet will indicate this.
Not true, my 2004 with 2800 miles did not come with the 7/70k warranty. Not saying yours didnt come with your vehicle as part of the purchase, but it is separate I believe. Here is some facts about the contracts. Chrysler Service Contracts FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 7/70 and rods were the main reason I went with an 03.

I believe sometime in 04 Dodge dropped 7/70 coverage, they claimed people weren't making selections & buying decisions based on warranties. I thought they were crazy to say that then, and now what do we see in every car ad - highly improved factory warranties. Back 20 yrs ago when things we're simpler, warrantied weren't as important, but with engines that can cost tens of thousands of dollars, drivetrain waaranties are valuable for sure.

k4site

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 05 blk/blk roadster with 2200 miles, 2 years warranty left on the car for $55,000

OP
OP
L

LS6 Molester

Viper Owner
Reaction score
thanks for everyones *** and help. I found a local 04 red srt for 50k 7k miles that still has the 7/70 warranty. i was originally looking for black but changed my mind to red after seeing them in person.

from what the dealer said all cars had it but it can only be transferred 1 time. so if you are buying a car looking for this warranty, you have to be the 2nd owner and pay 150$ (if i remember correctly) transfer fee.

anyways, i will taking a look at it next week and if everything goes well i will pick it up. i cant wait to walk into my garage and have 2 vipers in it :D