If more downforce is needed.

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know we don't know the numbers yet and a race car will need x-tra along with more lighting. Much lower,wide body etc, BUT it could be done without destroying the shape of the car with a wing. More under car air management, front splitter of course, and NO WING. FLAME SUIT ON. How about a taller kick up on the tail that can incorporate a different height wicker bill. Yep ala NASCAR and INDY where they make plenty of downforce and are very slippery. The bill could vary height due to conditions. Higher on one side than the other depending also on track conditions,direction of corners, rain,easy to change in or out ala an INDY car wickerbill on its wing. Now that would be a revolution!. If the straight line speed were obviously too low then you know the sanctioning bodies would reduce weight or add power to keep relative parity and imho besides looking better it would be radical and the talk of the town. GTS Bruce

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you invision an indy car without wings hitting 260 on the straights and having to brake for corners on an oval. How about F1 too. Slower corners,lots more acceleration,braking and passing. GTS Bruce

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do have against wings?

You must be registered for see images

Appearance and performance in one package!

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you invision an indy car without wings hitting 260 on the straights and having to brake for corners on an oval. How about F1 too. Slower corners,lots more acceleration,braking and passing. GTS Bruce

However, you have to brake more often, which builds up heat in the brake pads and rotors, causing them to fade after a few hot laps. Not to mention the loss of high-speed stability incurred by giving up the wings. It will use whatever it needs to use to meet its parameters at the appropriate cost point. TANSTAAFL.

OP
OP
G

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW my 01 GTS has the autoform front fascia,splitter,diffuser and wing. Looks good on a gen 2 like the cars that won Lemans. Yep it makes a gen 4 look better in acr mode but I don't like it on the gen V. IMHO detracts from the cars lines,looks. Thats why I would just kick up the rear and use wicker bills of varying height. Inexpensive and easier to change than wing angle. Subtle variations side to side rear downforce. Again the ZR1 doesn't use or need a wing and it is plenty fast. Their race car version could probably compete w/o a wing but a rear kick up aka nascar and variable wickerbill where they have a many tons of aero experience. GTS Bruce

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BTW my 01 GTS has the autoform front fascia,splitter,diffuser and wing. Looks good on a gen 2 like the cars that won Lemans. Yep it makes a gen 4 look better in acr mode but I don't like it on the gen V. IMHO detracts from the cars lines,looks. Thats why I would just kick up the rear and use wicker bills of varying height. Inexpensive and easier to change than wing angle. Subtle variations side to side rear downforce. Again the ZR1 doesn't use or need a wing and it is plenty fast. Their race car version could probably compete w/o a wing but a rear kick up aka nascar and variable wickerbill where they have a many tons of aero experience. GTS Bruce

But with the Stock Cars, more than just the rear kickup is changed for different tracks. (as I understand,) They also change the shape of the C-pillar to direct air either around the side of the vehicle, or over the tail of the vehicle. This is something that would be nearly impossible to achieve with a production vehicle.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If more downforce is needed...
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Gunman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
But with the Stock Cars, more than just the rear kickup is changed for different tracks. (as I understand,) They also change the shape of the C-pillar to direct air either around the side of the vehicle, or over the tail of the vehicle. This is something that would be nearly impossible to achieve with a production vehicle.

regarding NASCAR....The rear spoiler only changes for super speedway cars, and is a NASCAR designed item that the teams have to use. Bodies are generally of two configurations, speedway cars, and downforce cars. Lots of subtle tweaks go on all over the cars, they only look the same on tv :)

Given the choice between a wing, and a spoiler for a race car, give me the wing. Should be less drag penalty.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go to the NHTSA and present to them a study from GTSBruce Automobile Safety Studies INC. proving that wings are a danger to pedestrians. When a pedestrian gets hit and goes over the car a wing can cause serious bodily harm or death. Don't laugh, the logic behind the NHTSA's front spoiler restrictions is just as stupid.

or

Become a wing manufacturer, then go to the NHTSA and present a study that wings provide the necessary downforce required to avoid accidents. Give the Democrats and Republicans 100K and get a law passed requiring wings on every car sold in America and become a mega millionaire. That's how our government works.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally I think it's somewhat of a marketing decision. If they produce an ACR version with a high down force package it will come out in due time. Let's not bring all the goodies to the table now. Secondly from a marketing standpoint, it's nice to point out that the new car does 206mph in it's current form. It's got style, speed, and handling all in one package. The ACR version if released will probably have a high downforce package which will significantly reduce that top speed number. I think we should at least give the current car a chance before we consider it inferior on the track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlamorte