if you have 454 hp at the rwhp..what is the cal for flywheel?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Using the 15% driveline loss correction factor: multiply RWHP by 1/(1-.15), or 1.176. By this calculation, you have 534 BHP

Using the 12% driveline loss correction factor discussed in a different thread: multiply by 1.136. By this calculation, you have 516 BHP.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:

Using the 12% driveline loss correction factor discussed in a different thread: multiply by 1.136. By this calculation, you have 516 BHP.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was 1.115? Anyway I came up with 506.21

Venom Lover

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go to the FAQ on this site and go to the section on power, you will see numbers that imply 13%-15% driveline loss. Hence the formulas that treynor posted (though I don't know where he got 12%).

Anyway, all that really matters is how much power you put to the ground. Power at the flywheel is for bragging rights only, and it sounds like you didn't even do a real chassis dyno.... Go do a chassis dyno and find out the real numbers!

VEETENN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Also 454 divided by .85 (15%) or .88 (12%) works too.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
Using the 15% driveline loss correction factor: multiply RWHP by 1/(1-.15), or 1.176. By this calculation, you have 534 BHP

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is funny. I was talking to some Fbodys and they were using 18%. Talk about an affordable power adder.
laugh.gif

RedGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the conversion factors mentioned above are frequently used and provide decent rough estimates. However, the truth is driveline loss is closer to a fixed amount than it is to a particular percentage. IOW, if after dynoing an engine at 400 bhp on an engine dyno, you place it in a particular car which then produces 340 rwhp on a chassis dyno, or a driveline loss of 15%, and then up the engine's power to 600 bhp, the driveline loss will be closer to the original 60 hp loss than to 90 hp (15%). So driveline loss for higher hp motors is less, on a percentage basis. At least that's the way a couple of my engineer buddies explained it to me.
smile.gif

Ronnie