Impact of '08 Viper on Gen 3 resale value

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Impact of \'08 Viper on Gen 3 resale value

Been wondering how the intro of the new Viper will effect resale value of Gen 3s. On one hand, there could be a glut (even more so than there already is) of Gen 3s hitting the resale market from current owners looking to upgrade. This could drive prices down sharply. On the other hand, the huge exposure and hype the '08 is bound to generate may draw new interest to the older Gen 3s by younger buyers who can't afford the new Viper but have bought in to the "mystique". This would be especially true if the demand for the '08 is high and dealers start charging a sizeable premium, like what happened with the Z06.

Opinions?

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Impact of \'08 Viper on Gen 3 resale value

Who f in cares? I put more into the garter belts of the OC then I will lose on this car. Now go away with such silly posts... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Who f in cares? I put more into the garter belts of the OC then I will lose on this car. Now go away with such silly posts... :rolleyes:

Wahat an intersting and thoughtful response... :rolleyes:

Anyone out there who isn't so rich that they might actually have thought about this?

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If the MSRP remains the same or similar, naturally the value of the earlier cars will drop...just look at the 385 HP Z06...

Newport Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Wahat an intersting and thoughtful response... :rolleyes:

Anyone out there who isn't so rich that they might actually have thought about this?

You wanted opinions. ;)

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

If the MSRP remains the same or similar, naturally the value of the earlier cars will drop...just look at the 385 HP Z06...

True, but in the case of the Vette, it was a complete redesign with a HUGE gain in performance. Not so with the '08 Viper. Much more of an incremental change. Besides,it's been quite some time since Gen 3s sold anywhere near MSRP. If the the '08 became obtainable at anywhere near the "out the door" prices we have recently seen on new Gen 3s, prices would plummet horribly.

However, if the new Viper ends up costing $95k or more (actual out the dor price), then older Gen 3s could see up upswing in value.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Been wondering how the intro of the new Viper will effect resale value of Gen 3s. On one hand, there could be a glut (even more so than there already is) of Gen 3s hitting the resale market from current owners looking to upgrade. This could drive prices down sharply. On the other hand, the huge exposure and hype the '08 is bound to generate may draw new interest to the older Gen 3s by younger buyers who can't afford the new Viper but have bought in to the "mystique". This would be especially true if the demand for the '08 is high and dealers start charging a sizeable premium, like what happened with the Z06.

Opinions?

The dealer in WPB had the 2003 at $125k when it first came out. I'm sure if the 08 has a huge HP/Torque increase they be $140k for a few months. But to get to your question, the 03-06 may take a dip because of an influx of trade in but it will pan out. If your Jones'n for the 08 though, you may want to jump the gun on selling your current snake.

I'm in no hurry though.

ASKYOURWIFE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Right now you can pick and choose 03 SRT 10's for 47-52 grand...

By Oct 2007 you'll be able to pick and choose a 2003 SRT 10 for 43-48...

With the gen 2 and gen 3 it was a totaly different car..So to people who still preferred the gen 2 style it held it's value and was still worth while to purchase...

The gen3 and gen 4 however look exactly the same minus the hood to the average person...But theirs an 100 HP differance...

Thered no longer ant reason to desire a gen 3.....Unless you cant afford the gen 4...

Dodge is just trying to get rid of the gen 3's as quickly as possible...Their are STILL plenty of 04-05's sitting on Dealers lots that have never been sold...

One dealer is trying to sell me a 32K mile 2003 SRT10 for 45 grand...

another dealer is trying to sell me a brand new 2004 with 200 miles ( never titled) for 60 grand...

While I think interest in the 2008 will help the gen3's...
They just need to make a little money off these cars...And are gonna try and get rid of them quick

OP
OP
V

valentine_viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Opinions?

The dealer in WPB had the 2003 at $125k when it first came out. I'm sure if the 08 has a huge HP/Torque increase they be $140k for a few months. But to get to your question, the 03-06 may take a dip because of an influx of trade in but it will pan out. If your Jones'n for the 08 though, you may want to jump the gun on selling your current snake.

I'm in no hurry though.

No hurry here either. As tempting as it may be, I will wait to see how the actual road tests pan out and if there are any "bugs" that need to be addressed.

I saw a post in another thread that said something about DC not charging mark-up premiums to current owners when they purchase a new Viper. Is this true?

getbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

True, but in the case of the Vette, it was a complete redesign with a HUGE gain in performance. Not so with the '08 Viper. Much more of an incremental change. Besides,it's been quite some time since Gen 3s sold anywhere near MSRP. If the the '08 became obtainable at anywhere near the "out the door" prices we have recently seen on new Gen 3s, prices would plummet horribly.

However, if the new Viper ends up costing $95k or more (actual out the dor price), then older Gen 3s could see up upswing in value.

I'm talking about the C5 Z06...when it went from 385HP to 405HP and they slapped a badge proclaiming the HP jump on the fender. Prices dumped on the 385HP versions...and that was only a 20HP difference...

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Don't get me wrong. I love to send Woodhouse a deposite for an 08 but I don't have the pockets for a $20k hit it first year of ownership. But I thanks the guys who do:)

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not that it matters, but there are 10s of 1000s of Vettes produced each year out there. There are only 1000 Vipers produced each year. A comparison of Viper resales with a Vette is apples to oranges. No comparisons.

I think the new 08 will hurt vert sales simply because there are more verts out there with a run of 03-05 before the coupe, but the coupe should hold its own a bit better because it is out just one year. Supply and demand baby.

600 HP for $90K, ain't going to happen either guys. I bet nobody walks out with a full load new 08 for under $108K, NOT counting dealer mark-ups which are going to be there without a doubt. All these great new interior options and extra stripe colors, and paint colors and other options are not comming for free guys.

All in all, I will say it again that a current deal $75K-$78K full load coupe is the deal to grab. Still waiting for the numbers of an 06' Coupe with the PS2 tires. I think they are going to surprise everyone when they see them.

There comes a point to where adding all the power in the world starts to take away from the car and the driving experience. Personally I am happy with the 510 hp in my 06' Coupe, then again I am not racing it.

Call me cheap, but I will take the $30K savings on my brand new 06 coupe over the cost these new 08s are going to be.

That said, other than the hood, I am okay with what Dodge did with the 08 Vipers. I am sure they will sell well, but not as good as the future ACR lightweight, if they every produce such a thing. Once again, I think Dodge just went gunning in the HP wars. I bet they could have come up with the same numbers by dropping weight. Drop the weight and the mpg go up too. Too good to be true! Guess it is!

Rick

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score

GEN IIIs will drop but probably not a HUGE one since 2003s can be purchased for under $50K but nonetheless there will be a drop. It is perfect for people who would not like to purchase the new GEN 3.5 or 4 (whatever it is) for many reasons. I love the idea of the new car but I rather watch the resales of them first and not pay sticker or over.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

A LOT remians to be seen about this new drivetrain. Sure, it sounds good on paper... but if it isnt up to the bulletproof nature of the current cars, or is weaker for modability sake, there may be less of a decrease in the current values than you would think.

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't see GEN III values going down much at all. They have already gone down lower than I can believe. A hell of a car for the money.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score

i think prices have hit bottom or close to it for srts now. all the speculation of the monster 08 coming out pushed them down to unbelievable levels. so low, that there is a completely new market for vipes. guys who never dreamed of owning one are now considering an srt.

bigmike32172

Viper Owner
Reaction score

i think prices have hit bottom or close to it for srts now. all the speculation of the monster 08 coming out pushed them down to unbelievable levels. so low, that there is a completely new market for vipes. guys who never dreamed of owning one are now considering an srt.

Soo true! You can practically pick up a new srt for the cost of buying a fully loaded chevy dually right now!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images
Crack is Wack

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score

maryjane back in the day maybe, crack never. say what you will but i doubt you will ever see, or at least in the next few years, a clean, no story, under 20k miles srt under 45grr...the sub 55grr price point has brought out many new buyers. hell, look at all the freakin noobs

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I can't see GEN III values going down much at all. They have already gone down lower than I can believe. A hell of a car for the money.

I can't wait for somebody to ask if my 05 is 600HP?

Answer: YES IT IS :)

for this reason they could even go up a little in value.

MB sold a lot of SL300

Casey

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gen 3 prices are not going down. They've already hit rock bottom. Hell, it's December and you won't find a clean one for under $54k.

I really like my SRT Vert while I had it. Truely an awesome machine. It's not the first time I've said this, but here's a Heffner ******'s opinion, $54k for the Gen 3 and another $40k to Heffner gets you 1200hp. You can cut the hole in the hood yourself! :D

Disclaimer for Chuck: 600hp out of the box is about as sick as it gets! Nice big step up for DC. I'm proud of the gang!

Disclaimer for Casey: Still looks the same! :D

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If I was in the market for my 1st Viper, I would be all over the remaining brand new 04's-06's. Unreal deals you get when next version comes out. Let's not forget that the Gen III V-10 will be the last low tech low compression engine that will prove bullitproof over the next 20 years.

Blue Batmobile

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Right now you can pick and choose 03 SRT 10's for 47-52 grand...

By Oct 2007 you'll be able to pick and choose a 2003 SRT 10 for 43-48...

With the gen 2 and gen 3 it was a totaly different car..So to people who still preferred the gen 2 style it held it's value and was still worth while to purchase...

The gen3 and gen 4 however look exactly the same minus the hood to the average person...But theirs an 100 HP differance...

Thered no longer ant reason to desire a gen 3.....Unless you cant afford the gen 4...

Dodge is just trying to get rid of the gen 3's as quickly as possible...Their are STILL plenty of 04-05's sitting on Dealers lots that have never been sold...

One dealer is trying to sell me a 32K mile 2003 SRT10 for 45 grand...

another dealer is trying to sell me a brand new 2004 with 200 miles ( never titled) for 60 grand...

While I think interest in the 2008 will help the gen3's...
They just need to make a little money off these cars...And are gonna try and get rid of them quick

some good points here. I can go buy an 08 hood and pretend I have an 08 :laugh: .

Bat™

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21