Inovative Car Theft

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I saw this post on another site and decided to pass it along.
Jerry

Subject: Innovative Car Thieves...

Seems that car thieves have found yet another way to steal your car or truck without any effort at all.

The car thieves peer through the windshield of your car or truck, write down the VIN # from the label on the dash, go to the local car dealership and request a duplicate key based on the VIN #.
I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called a friend at Chrysler Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN
#, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will make a duplicate key from the
VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car.
He doesn't have to break in, do any damage to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local Chop Shop with your vehicle.
You don't believe it? It IS that easy.

To avoid this from happening to you, simply put some tape (electrical
tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Metal Label located on
the dash board. By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you can cover it
so it can't be viewed through the windshield by a car thief.
I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck

------ End of Forwarded Message

Edoggrc51

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Its really not supposed to be that easy. You are supposed to provide proof of ownership before the dealer will cut you a key (registration, title). Now if you happen to have a "hook up" that works at a dealer, i guess it can be that easy.

illegalspeeds

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read about this a couple of years ago. I haven't heard of it happening to anyone I know. edoggrc is right, it's not supposed to work that way. My humble opinion is that it's one of those cool internet rumors that people get all excited about. Having said all that, I will be the first person on here to have my car stolen that way.

Matt

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Its really not supposed to be that easy. You are supposed to provide proof of ownership before the dealer will cut you a key (registration, title). Now if you happen to have a "hook up" that works at a dealer, i guess it can be that easy.

That's correct,
I work at a dealer and that is how we do it, we also log every person we cut a key for in a log book with a photocopy of thier drivers licence and vehicle reg.
Sometimes it is tough for a customer to get a key cut here if their reg. is locked inside the car, but we tell them why we are being so tough and they usually understand and come up with something that shows they are legal owner of the car...Insurance papers etc...
But like was said. if you have a "hook up" I suppose it could be done.
But remember, most cars now need the key to be programmed to "talk" with the computer so the car will start.

(Hey Eric...Pete says Hi)

Cheers,

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had them cut with no proof before. With 10 Dodge dealerships within 20 miles of me, I'd be willing to bet I could get someone to cut me a key. Now if I was a skuzzy looking shitbird, I'd probably have a harder time.

pullshard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need more then just a key to start my car. But them thieves will steel it if they really want it, and they are good at it.

scottgf

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've had them cut with no proof before. With 10 Dodge dealerships within 20 miles of me, I'd be willing to bet I could get someone to cut me a key. Now if I was a skuzzy looking shitbird, I'd probably have a harder time.

Hey Big,
Are you talking about getting keys cut by the Vin. or just copies of one of your keys....?
It must be different in Tx. but in Cal. they are cracking down .
Cheers,

VIPR GTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We require drivers license and proof of ownership to cut a key for a vin. Some customers get upset but that is better than making a mistake.

Neil - UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
that scam is nothing new, its been around for a while over here they would still need to get around the alarm/immobiliser though, if you have one !

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Big,
Are you talking about getting keys cut by the Vin. or just copies of one of your keys....?
It must be different in Tx. but in Cal. they are cracking down .
Cheers,

That's definitely how it's suppose to be, but I'm certain I could good ole boy someone into cutting one for me. I did it last month for my little brother's Dodge truck!

FE 065

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Innovative Car Theft

All the ignition wires are under the steering column shroud. How about wiring in a kill switch that uses a key and monting it flush in the bottom shroud somewhere?

I don't have my car or manual anymore, but I think I remember someone here mentioning the fuel pump relay fuse is accessible in the rear of the car. Would pulling that be a quick anti-theft technique?

No fuel = No Go

There must be some things easily done to stop someone with a key from driving off. ..The throttle cable diconnects easily once the hood is open.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tombala