Input on changing the color of my Viper

monnieh

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Only 34 of my Viper were made and I know of 1 that was totaled so 33 are left at the most.

I also have teh 2000.4 so it has the Koni D/A on it. It is Black with silver stripes which I love, I mean, it really does look good.

However, I have always wanted a White with Blue striped car, just like teh GTS-r of 98 (sans the wing).

Since this is a Viper and not something like a Z06, there is a certain amount of stewardship involved in ownership. While the financial ramifications of changing the color are not a concern to me, the thought of it not being a "Survior" car in the future troubles me.

Selling it would be an option but man, this car is setup so perfectly, it is hard to think of letting go of it.

What is your input? :usa:

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"the thought of it not being a "Survior" car in the future troubles me"
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monnieh- The tribal counsel has spoken. Don't do it.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an idea, but maybe you could get a Viper that's been wrecked, and paint it how you want? Bonkers did it, and it looks awesome!

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm actually not a fan of the black gen1-2's. Black hides all of the curves. Looks much better on a gen3. That said, don't paint it... the numbers are waaay too small. Now if you had a red like mine... paint away!

Copernicus

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will go against the popular opinion here and say go ahead and paint it. Since the financial impact is not a concern to you, you would only be preserving the collectibility for the next owner should you decide to sell. Why not modify it to your specifications to make it most enjoyable to you?

There are a number here who prefer non altered vehicles, myself included, however you should modify your car to your specifications as you bought your vehicle for your own enjoyment.

DaDood

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please don't paint it! When I am ready to buy one, the black/silver striped ACR is the one Viper I would have no problem paying top dollar for!
Plus, there is only around maybe 100 left from 98 to 2000.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would much rather have a white Viper than the black one I have.

I'm just thinking that a total color change like that would be a very big deal and no matter how professional the painter, all the little edges, under screw heads, all those places would never look right again.

Knight Viper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm just thinking that a total color change like that would be a very big deal and no matter how professional the painter, all the little edges, under screw heads, all those places would never look right again.

You would do a full body-off, which on this car is not that difficult to make the job look right and even better than factory with the right shop. Mine looks better than the original in many Viper owners option, not just my own. ;)
I agree I would have a hard time “messing” with that car as well and would seriously consider a second to modify to my taste.

OKViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a Black/Silver GTS owner - I say do it! Makes mine worth a few dollars more...

EllowViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a year or two, I'll update my GTS with the latest and greatest Yellow/White three-stage that the new cars are coming out with. My wife could not believe it when I took a 7,700 mile 2001 Viper and did what I did to the paint/roof scoop. When I was finished, she (and the neighbor) thought it looked marvelous. So IMO, I own this car as my main hobbie and as such, no aspects of ownership are off limits. As far as the level of difficulty doing an entire repaint, the Viper is probably the easiest car to do since so many of the panels simply unbolt. Don't let the local body man scare you away from what you want to do. Its not that big of deal and the "science" of car painting has been greatly simplified over the years.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I had the same delma with a nice blue and white. The car was to nice to throw a new paint job. I sold it and purchased a silver and blue with bad paint but otherwise a nice car. It is now orange with white and the best Viper I have ever owned.

ViperJames

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are honestly "torn" you should sell your car. Buy a run of the mill low mileage GTS that may have some scratches, blemishes making the car cheaper, then have a perfect paint job done. You will have exactly what you want, more $$$ in your pocket and you did not ****** a 1 of 33 ACR. You did everyone justice including yourself.... :2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4